Home (Not So Sweet) Home: Part 1

As the bright light began to fade out slowly, Joshua, squinting his eyes began to adjust to see his surroundings. Uncertain as to where exactly they arrived, Joshua looked around. Everything was still a blur, as their surroundings began to come into focus, Joshua turned around to see that they arrived at the orphanage.

"Where are we? This place looks like a dump" Asked Victoria 

"This is my home," Said Joshua.

Victoria fell into silence.

"Sorry..."

"For what? I hate this place." Said Joshua

"Then why did you think of this place when we were teleporting? You could have thought of anywhere."

"Because there is someone we need to take with us"

"Joshua, we can't take a civilian with us. They would only slow us down. Plus how do you expect them to understand what we are even doing?"

"He is not just a civilian, he is my best friend. If I am leaving, he is coming with me. I will not leave him here with the ass hole that runs this place."

"That bad huh?" Asked Victoria

"You have no idea."

"Still, I don't like the idea of bringing someone else with us. It's bad enough as it is."

"What do you mean bad enough as it is?" Questioned Joshua

"Well, let's face it, Joshua. You aren't exactly one with your powers, are you? We have to kill Greater Demons and you don't even know how to use your power yet. Now you want to add someone who will need more protection than you into the mix! It's too risky. We can't do it."

"Oh well you seem to think that I am such a baby, don't you? I didn't ask for you to protect me and I certainly didn't ask you to come along either. "

"No Joshua, I came along because I knew you'd be dead within 10 minutes without me. 

"You see, that's what you think. Because you're big-headed and think so little of me. But it turns out that if we don't bring Ron with us, then I won't go."

"So you'd just put a hold on protecting this world and mine because of some stupid kid?"

"My way or no way Victoria. Here's a tip, I'd go with my way."

Joshua began to walk towards the Orphanage stairs but Victoria grabbed him strongly by the arm pulling him towards her.

"How about I kick your ass you little.."

"Look! You don't get it. Ron is the only friend I have ever had. I can't leave him behind. You do not know what it is like to live in this place. He knows I am not normal. I have to tell him what has happened, who I really am. If you can't understand that then maybe you should just go home."

Victoria let go of Joshua's arm. She stood with a pondering face as Joshua began to walk back towards the orphanage stairs.

"Joshua, wait!" Shouted Victoria

Joshua stopped in his tracks but did not turn around. 

"I get it okay? If he really means that much to you, then we will have to bring him along."

"He really does."

"Then let's go get him. But not that way"

"What do you mean?" Asked Joshua.

"Well, if you walk through the front door and the guy running this place sees you do you think he will let you just walk out and never come back?"

"Good point. Problem is we need to get upstairs."