Hitting The Target

Joshua and Victoria made there way back to the training ground. They stood opposite each other and began to train.

"Okay, so you remember what I was saying before, about how we cast magic? First, we learn the spell, imprint it into our minds and then, depending on the spell, cast it using the correct method. So let's start off with a simple one. Summon the Lucidus."

"Okay"

Joshua stood firm, braced himself and screamed:

"Lucidus!"

As before, the book manifested from thin air into Joshua's hands from a burst of light.

"Wow, did you see that!?" Joshua Screamed.

"Yes, however just saying Lucidus next time will work just the same as shouting it" Victoria Replied.

"That's rich coming from you," Joshua said under his breath.

"I would kick your ass now, but it will be more fun when you can actually try and fight back saviour."

"Okay, okay sorry. What do I do next?" Joshua Chuckled.

"The Lucidus holds everything you need to know, study it. Every page, every sentence. It is a great honour to be in possession of such a historical and powerful artefact. Now from what I know of the Lucidus, the Key Holder can think of what magic they want to cast, whilst in possession of the book and both the spell and the ability to cast it will be shown. So let's start off by trying to cast fire. Think about fire right now whilst you are holding the book and it should show you what you're looking for and how to use it"

"Alright, let's give it a go" 

Joshua held the book, eyes closed thinking real hard about casting fire. The book began to glow, the pages started to turn quickly as if a gust of wind struck them. A bright light emitted from its centre, the book suddenly vanished with a burst of light.

"Huh, I guess I didn't do it right."

Victoria was staring at Joshua's hands.

"Are you sure about that? Look at your hands" 

Joshua, looking puzzled looked down at his to be surprised by what he saw. His hands were on fire.

"Oh my god! I'm on fire!"

Joshua ran around like a headless chicken waving his hands in the air trying to put out the flames. He then came to a sudden stop. Looking at his hands.

"Wait? It's not; burning me?"

"No, it would be pretty difficult to cast magic if the spells you were using caused serious damage to yourself would it?"

"Huh, I guess that makes sense. It's just so weird that I have full flames coming out of my hands without actually feeling anything."

"I suppose it is, for you at least"

"How so?"

"Well, it's just that you have been living a human lifestyle all your life. When you see fire you don't exactly think to touch it let alone have it burning from your hands. This is good, you are adapting well to the magic. The Lucidus will vanish once the magic is cast, this allows you to be able to use your magic whilst protecting the book. Now that you can cast the magic, its time to see how well you can use it. Try hitting the targets."

Joshua eyed the target, focused and threw his arm out towards the target. With a blaze of heat going past Victoria's face, Joshua threw a line of fire but missed the target.

"Damn it!" Joshua Screamed.

"Okay, mister calm down. With practice, you will be hitting bullseyes soon enough. Again!"

They trained for hours on hitting targets with fire. They didn't even try to cast any other form of magic. The sunset, the moon rose and they were still training. Everyone else left hours ago, the training grounds were quite apart from Joshua throwing fire towards targets and the sound of them missing them.

"Joshua, we have been at this for hours. Let's call it a day. You've done really well today"

"Really well? We have been here for hours and I have yet to hit a single target!"

"No one expects you to! The fact that you are casting magic and using it is an achievement in itself. It can take Bellator in training days before they are comfortable casting Lumen. Yet here you are using Fira Magic all day like you have done this before."

"That's easy for you to say, you are not the one who has to face the most powerful enemy this world has ever known and expect to bring him to an end. I can't hit a target Victoria, how am I supposed to bring down the Lord of Darkness?"

"You cannot win a fight by strength alone. It takes heart to reign victorious." Said a voice in the distance.

Victoria Smiled and turned around to greet the strange voice.

"Venificus, always there to spread words of wisdom." 

"I see you are able to conjure Fira Magic Joshua."

"Yeah, but what's the point if I cannot hit anything? I'm useless at this"

"Hmm; Useless I think not. If you could not cast magic at all then yes you would be a lousy Key Holder. But you can, you just need a point in the right direction. When you look at what you are trying to hit, what do you see?"

Joshua looked at the target then looked at Veneficus as if he was crazy.

"A target." 

"Wrong! What you see before you is the thing between you and your life. You are the key holder. You are connected with the very essence of Magic and the elements around you. Close your eyes; Breath in, feel the air enter your lungs. Feel the air surround you. Feel the ground beneath your feet, feel it move as you curl your toes, feel the stream of air moving towards your goal. Use the world around you to your advantage. Now focus on all of this at once make your move and you will hit that target. Take your time."

Joshua focused, feeling the world around him. A few moments went passed. Joshua was truly focused, connected with the world around him. He could hear the wind move, hear the ground beneath him, feel the breeze brush between his fingers. He lifted his hand lit with fire, head to one side not facing the target and threw a line of fire towards it. Within seconds it exploded and burst into flames covering the floor. Joshua opened his eyes in amazement that he actually hit it.

"Yes! That is what I am talking about. Burn baby burn!! woohoo!"

Veneficus chuckled to himself.

"Very good Joshua. Remember, strength is only half the battle. You must fight with your heart in order to succeed. It is late, return to your chambers."

"Thank you Venificus" Said Joshua 

"For what? I did nothing, you hit the target. However, I want them all hit tomorrow. The upper targets move you know?"

"Uhh." Joshua Sighed.

"Oh, Joshua. Come by my quarters tomorrow, there is something I would like to show you."

Joshua and Victoria headed by to their chambers. 

"Well done today Joshua. You show great promise."

"I hope so, a lot is at stake here"

"Yes, there is. But you will not have to face it alone. I will join you"

"No, this is something that the Key Holder must do."

"That does not mean I cannot help. No discussion. Don't even try to talk me out of this. This is just as much my fight as it is yours."

"I won't even try."

"Good, well then I guess I will see you tomorrow Saviour"

"You're really going to make that name stick aren't you."

"Like I said, its a grower."