Thirteen

"It's going to be fine. Calm down. I mean no harm."

"Get away from her."

Pictures tangled in my mind. I could feel his grip around me. His breathings that stroke my lips. There was a shiver down my spine: he seemed familiar, yet too distant to be remembered.

Who was he?

"Blake?" A voice shot at my ears. I'd have guaranteed it was mum's. I was back at home.

Gradually, I opened my eyes, analyzing that my hair was tied up into a bun. I noticed that whenever Debbie was nervous, she swindled with people's hair to smoothen her fingertips. Yeah, even I never understood that part.

"Oh my God, you're finally awake. Are you okay, honey?" Mum inquired again. I exhaled in the deep pleasure that my vision was clear again. No more blurry filters.

"Yeah..I guess so." I looked over my figure. Nothing seemed to be disturbed. I was enormously anxious about this portion since I recollected the moment in the playground. The guys.

"Would you like some water, Blake?" Danny infiltrated in the room with a glass of iced water. As usual, he was the prince of the family: the responsible one. Even though we barely meet, I can deliberately say, he did earn his rank as the family's hero.

Although he was Dolan's best friend.

"I'd love to. Thanks, Dan." I chugged down the liquid in a minute. Honestly, I gulped two glasses of water in a short time. Danny sat on the bed, beside mum.

Mum smiled at us, probably deciding to give us another "quality time" ; because after Julie entered the room, she walked straight out of it.

And there went the awkward silence. I should be heartedly grateful to George for breaking the weirdness.

"So, Blake. What really happened out there?" He crossed his legs on the couch. "Ben said about some guys—"

"Yeah. There were some dudes out there who tried to mess up with me." I gritted my teeth to avoid the touchy sensation. There has been a lot of dirt in my past. And as it appeared, they were winning over my control.

"Were they cute?" Julie jerked in delight. With a 'what the heck' look from the rest of us, she calmed down and apologized.

Ben, who manifestly approached from nowhere, promptly started speaking. "You should be thankful to that guy who saved you."

The guy.

"I agree. He was a life rescuer." Danny nodded in covenant. I declared to listen more and recall some information.

"Yeah. He was pretty cute too." Julie, like always, dreamt of his features.

Cute. That was my first score of getting to know him.

"I liked the way he calmed us down. Even in a rush, he managed to handle the six of us, when we cant even manage ourselves." Debbie leered as she twirled my hair into a braid.

With a few more compliments on that person, they glanced at me. I hoped this was a sign that they wanted me to speak. I happened to alter into quite an introvert after my syndrome was discovered and Dolan left.

"I didn't really see him. But...there was something about him that even soothed me out."

"He gave you a pill, you know. He told us that you weren't taking your medicines properly." George uttered in his curious tone. "I think he was stalking you."

"George, just shut up. A guy like him and a girl like our Blake? Seems a no-no to me," Julie laughed in a flirty tune. Nobody joined her joy. If anything, it rather depressed my mood since, obviously, that was something I'd have never hoped from my family.

"Julie, you shouldn't say like that. Don't you have some decent manners—" Debbie overlapped the conversation. Believe it or not, but in a few seconds the argument occurred to be a conflict with one another.

I heaved a long sigh. This was the best quality time that mum must have expected for. Danny held his hand towards me, "Lets just leave them here."

I agreed openly and adhered to stroll in the lawn.

***

"So you tell me," I began. "Who do you think he was?"

The two buddy-siblings roamed in the grassy patch, away from the noisy resident.

"Well, he was pretty obvious to help you recover. He looked like—" Danny paused and peeked at me. "He actually seemed of your age. Or could be a year older."

A year older.

Then a strange silence with the clatter of the wind bypassing us.

"You know," he started again. "don't mind Julie's words. She's just envy after her ex broke up with her."

"Wow. I thought she met Leo two weeks ago."

"Some things don't last forever. They just rust their lives out," he inhaled deeply and I waited for him to progress as he gazed at me. "Yet some things, although a little tough to abide with, stay forever. And the best part is, you never really know how it all changes. What I'm saying is—"

He kept his eyes fixed on the cloudy sky. "You just need one imperfect person to transform your life into a perfect one. As they say, even the coal has a diamond heart."

I glared at him closely. No literal words could overwin his speech: I was bewildered. At that moment, he revolutionized my whole aspect on the future. And that's possibly when I learned the reason why he was the favorite of the family.

I was about to respond when he sighed heavily, "I think it'll rain. Lets turn backwards now."

🌹

Hey readers!

Well, it's an emergency now. I want this story to be printed at our local magazine, but for that, it needs to get atleast 500 votes.

Help me and I'll get you 3 follow backs (only if you're following me).

Remember, I always keep my word!