Weakest Link

The Dragon's Edge had now become a fortress. No one could enter or leave the island without the guards or Hiccup finding out about it. Scouting dragons patrolled the forests, mountains, hills and beaches making it impossible for anyone to sneak into the island. The guards had all their armor and weaponry improved thanks to the combined efforts of Gobber, Vlask and Hiccup.

Now the Edge also had a team of dragon riders who were trained to a high standard, although none had come as close to Hiccup's standard as Astrid. She and her dragon Stormfly were practically one being, similar to how Hiccup and Toothless operated as one.

Not to mention the actual combat training, it seems that Astrid had excelled at her training becoming one of Hiccup's best students. Heck she could even take Hiccup in hand-to-hand combat, she may not win but she had come much closer than anyone had in a very long time. But her problem seemed to be with weapons. She always favored her axe, but she couldn't use any other weapons.

But not too long after training with Hiccup she was able to use pretty much every weapon that she could lay her hands on, it took months for the overhaul to take place but it eventually paid off when it came to their organized raids on Outcast strongholds. As each month passed they were weakening the Outcasts.

Hiccup sat in the Great Hall studying the map he had made, there were islands that he had crossed out due to having them raided and the Outcasts wiped from them. Some of those islands had been the homes of innocent villagers but were overcome by the Outcasts, thanks to Hiccup and the Riders they were able to reclaim their homes. Nice to know he was helping some people.

"You okay?" asked a voice from behind. Hiccup turns to see Astrid walking towards him. "I'm fine, just trying to figure some stuff out," answered Hiccup cryptically. "What kinda stuff?" asked Astrid as she sat down next to him and examined the rather expansive map before them.

"Well for a start, where the hell did Davos go? We searched the Hammer Clan island for him but nothing. Not a trace. We've pulled apart the islands they had taken over and nothing! I just dunno where to look next," says Hiccup as he leaned back in his chair.

"Maybe what you need is a break from all this, come back to it with a fresh set of eyes and a new perspective," suggested Astrid with a shrug. "You may be right, but we are so close to finding them. I can feel it!" said Hiccup in exasperation. Astrid took his hand in her own, "You need to take a break or you'll burn out."

Hiccup gave her hand a squeeze of thanks, Astrid had been there for him everyday since she came to the Edge. She kept him sane and reminded him of his purpose, pretty much in the same way that Emily used to when she was alive. It was in that very moment he realized that Astrid was becoming much more to him than a friend, and that very thought scared him. He pulled his hand away and stood up, "Thank you Astrid...I need to go."

He didn't wait for a response and was quick to leave the Great Hall making everyone look to him with confused expressions on their faces. He was barely out of the Great Hall when he ran into a guard, "My king I have come bearing great news!"

"What?" asked Hiccup with a slight exhalation of anxiety. "A man was captured not too long ago in the forest by one of the scouting dragons, it was Davos sir," explained the guard. "Where is he?" asked Hiccup with a snarl.

"The traitor has been locked up in the guard tower my king, he is currently being guarded by five of our finest guards," answered the guard with a nod. "Take me to him," said Hiccup instantly.

Hiccup was lead through the busy village and to the guard house that sat on top a hill gazing out over the entirety of Dragon's Edge. They opened the door and there shackled to the table was the man he sought. Davos. When their eyes met Davos immediately went pale. Hiccup turned to the guards, "Leave me with him."