Chapter 15

The look on his face was heartbreaking, as I turned and ran downstairs. I turned down the street as I ran as fast as I could, tears rolling down my face. I was so caught up in crying and trying to get away that I found myself colliding with someone. I fell to the floor, my whole body shaking as I looked up.

A girl my age stood there, pale skin and bright purple curls. Her eyes were a warm green and I noticed she had a small diamond stud in her nose, glistening in the sunlight.

"I am so sorry!" she said quickly, reaching out her hand to help me up. I glanced at it, noticing all the rings and bracelets she wore. I stood up by myself, and her hand returned back to her side. She gave me a smile, tucking her bright hair behind her ear. It revealed multiple piercings, all different colours and styles.

"Are you alright, you're crying?" she asked, placing a hand on my shoulder. I shook it off awkwardly and she sighed.

"I'm sorry, I'm Melissa" she said and I faked a smile at her.

"I'm Rose" I said quietly, fiddling with my hands.

"Nice to meet you Rose, now why are you out here crying?" she asked and I shrugged lightly, biting my lip softly.

"It's complicated" I said and she gave me a soft smile filled with pity.

"Come on, let's go somewhere more private and warm" she said as she noticed me shivering. I followed her until we got to McDonalds, the last place I needed to be right now.

"I'm starving, what about you?" She asked and I shrugged as we walked inside.

"I'm not hungry, I ate earlier" I lied, ignoring the mouth-watering smell of the small franchise.

"Rose, I know it's not my business, but you really look like you should eat something" she said quietly, and I gave her a fake smile.

"Honestly, I'm fine" I lied, and she gave up with a sigh.

"Okay, well I'm getting fries" she said, making her way up to the counter. I stood behind her, feeling people watching me. The fat, scared girl behind the confident and perfect girl. We sat down at a table by the window as I watched her eat.

"So, what happened?" She asked, before shoving some more fries into her small mouth.

"What?" I asked, snapping out of my trance.

"What happened, to make you cry?" She asked again and I shrugged, running a hand through my hair.

"I got into an argument" I said simply, as she nodded at me to continue.

"This guy, we used to hate each other. Then he got close and I trusted him, but I know we're going to get hurt, and now I just don't know what to do" I said, tears filling my eyes.

"Sounds like you really care about him" she said and I just nodded.

"If he cares about you, Rose, he'll want to help" she said and I pulled my knees up to my chest, wriggling around on the wooden chair.

"What if-what if I don't want help?" I asked, regretting it instantly. I sounded like a freak.

"We all need help, Rose, we just don't always know it" she said, placing her hand on mine. I quickly glanced down, my attention drawn to my phone, which was flashing. I pulled it out, confused. Who had my number other than family?

"Hello?" I asked.

"Rose? Rose, where are you? I'm so sorry" Luke cried, as I sat in silence.

"Luke, I just, I can't do this right now" I whispered, my voice barely audible.

"Rose, I'm begging you. Come on" he pleaded, but I stuck my ground.

"Luke, stop. I just need to clear my head, okay? I love you" I said quickly, ending the call.

"Nice going" Melissa laughed, finishing the last of her fries. She threw the empty wrapper in the bin, turning to face me.

"So, anything you want to do?" She asked, a confident look on her face.

"No, I don't usually do much" I said, followed by a small shrug.

"What about the park, me and my brother used to go there as kids?" She suggested and I smiled.

"Sure, let's go"

+

"So, who's your brother?" I asked, as we swung backwards and forwards on the old swing set in the middle of the park. I didn't know this place existed, a beautiful park with a roundabout and small climbing frame.

"His name's Michael, Michael Clifford" she said and I froze. I put my feet on the floor, stopping the swing from moving.

"As in, dyed hair and eyebrow piercing Michael Clifford?" I asked and she nodded, stopping beside me.

"Yeah, do you know him?" She asked.

"No. I've seen him around, but that's it." I whispered, as my head spun.

"I should go, it's been great and all but I need to get going" I rambled, but she jumped up to stop me.

"No, you can't leave!" She said, positioning herself in front of the gate.

"Okay" I said, not wanting to fight. She smiled, rummaging through her bag and pulling out a cigarette. She lit it, before taking a long drag of it. I watched in silence as she drained the life from herself.

"Want one?" She asked and I found myself nodding. She handed me one, lighting it for me. I nervously placed it between my lips, sucking it lightly. I coughed loudly, blowing the smoke from my body into the air. She laughed at my attempts, patting my back lightly.

"I see you're new at this" she said, as I stood up straight.

"I never thought it'd be my thing" I shrugged, continuing to puff my way through the cigarette, as she did the same.

And for a few hours, I thought everything might be okay. Like nobody was going to hurt me.

"I don't know what I'm going to do later" I said, pressing my sixth cigarette stub into the wooden fence, watching the ash flying into the wind.

"Just wing it" she suggested with a smile, before copying my actions. The sun was setting, casting a warm glow across the park. It was getting colder now, but it was pleasant as I wrapped my arms around my body, swaying backwards and forwards slightly.

"He's going to be so mad" I whispered, more to myself than Melissa. She placed a hand on my shoulder, a soft look on her face.

"Hey, it'll be okay. You've clearly been through hell and back, you can face some dickhead" she said, leaving me confused.

"What do you mean?" I asked, and she took my hands in hers.

"Rose, I saw the scars" she whispered, as my gaze fell to the floor. I shuffled my feet awkwardly, not wanting to get into this conversation.

"I'm a failure" I said quietly, tears falling down my face as she pulled me into a warm hug.

"You're not a failure, you've got a whole life ahead of you and one day those scars will fade, along with everything holding you down. Soon they'll just be a memory, and you'll be okay" she said, rubbing my back softly. It felt good to hear that, even if I didn't believe it.

"Now, let's get you home"