Chapter 3.

I woke up to a knock on the door. I bolted up, my eyes scanning my room.

"Rose?" I heard Mum ask loudly, hitting the door again.

"Yes?" I croaked out, rubbing my eyes and catching sight of my left arm. It was covered in fresh cuts.

"Are you alright in there?" she asked and I cursed under my breath.

"I'm fine Mum" I lied, trying my best to sound convincing.

"Okay, dinner's in 20 minutes if you're up for it" she said, knowing I rarely ate with them. 

"Not tonight, I'm not hungry" I lied, lightly pressing my hand to my arm. Pain shot through me, making me bite my lip to not cry out.

"Okay honey" she said, and I heard her leave.  I threw on a clean hoodie from my wardrobe, sweeped my hair into a bun and walked downstairs. I saw Mum, Finn and Ashton eating dinner. Ashton smirked at me, mouthing something to me.

"Fat slut"

I turned around, throwing on some trainers, opening the front door and stepping outside into the cold evening. I slammed the door behind me, walking off down the street. I made it to the small woods, wandering down the trail. Trees hung overhead, birds singing and swooping past me. Leaves rustled, the sound of the river nearby. The path became narrower as the trees got thicker, the woods getting darker. The dark didn't bother me, I could hide in the dark, alone. Thorns and plants scratched at my ankles as the path turned into forrestry. It had been a while since I'd last been here. I came here everytime my feelings got too much to handle and I couldn't cope. It was my place to escape.

 I spotted the clearing up ahead, and picked up speed. I sat down on the large log, that had perhaps fallen from one of the large trees surrounding me. I closed my eyes, resting my head in my hands. I felt the air get colder as it got later, but I didn't move. I couldn't move, I wasn't ready to go back home.

Someone touched my shoulder, making me scream loudly. I jumped up, spinning around. There, only a metre away from me, stood Michael Clifford. The setting sun reflected off his red hair as he smirked at me.

"Rose, didn't anyone warn you not to go into the woods alone?" he smirked, grabbing my hoodie and pulling me towards him. I kicked him as hard as I could, trying to get away, but he showed no sign of pain.

"Get off!" I yelled, as he tightened the grip around my neck.

"Not yet, we're going to play a little game, Rose" he laughed menacingly, sending chills down my spine.

His lips pressed to my neck, his free hand running up and down my body. I struggled under his grip, letting out a scream. His hand slapped over my mouth, silencing me, as tears began to fall from my eyes.

"Please, let me go." I said, my voice muffled by his strong hand. His body collided with mine, causing me to cry out in pain. Finally, he let me go. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, thinking it was over, before a fist collided with my cheek. Followed by another, and another. It slowly turned into slaps, kicks, insults. Whatever he could do to hurt me.

+

"Learnt now, don't go out here alone" Michael laughed as he left. I was laying in a ball, covered in a mix of wet mud and my blood. Everything hurt, every bone in my body ached. I was crying, my whole body shaking with each loud sob coming from my mouth. It was then that I heard footsteps coming towards me. I froze, shaking with fear.

"Please, just go away, you win Michael." I cried.

"Rose?" Luke gasped, rushing to me. I pushed him away, sitting up with my back against the log.

"What happened to you?" he asked, crouching beside me.

"Nothing, I'm fine" I lied, turning my gaze from him to the floor.

"Your fine is obviously very different to mine" he said and I looked at him.

"Why are you here, Luke?" I asked, crossing my arms and trying to ignore the pain that shot through me.

"I overheard Michael say he'd seen you up here. I had to check you were okay." he said and I sighed.

"You should go" I said, standing up. My legs wobbled, the pain nearly unbearable.

"I can't leave you like this" he said, holding a hand out for me to take. I didn't take it, I couldn't take it. I could't give in.

"Yes, you can. I'm not falling for it." I said, brushing the dirt from my leggings.

"Falling for what?" he asked and I shook my head sadly.

"Luke. I'm not stupid. I'm not going to let myself get broken by one of you people again. I'm not going to put my trust in you like I did with..." I said, my voice fading out before I could finish my sentence. Tears continued to fall. I could feel my whole body burn in pain, but I didn't care.

"You don't trust me?" He asked, his voice sounding sad. Hurt.

"Give me one reason why I should." I argued, not letting myself fall for his act.

"At least let me take you home" he said, giving up on arguing.

"Fine" I whispered, realising I couldn't get home alone in my state, as he hooked an arm around my back, another under my legs. He scooped me into his arms, carrying me carefully through the woods.

"Luke, put me down!" I said and he laughed quietly.

"You clearly can't walk." he said, and I stared up at him.

"I'm too heavy to carry!" I exclaimed and he looked shocked.

"You're one of the lightest people I've met" he said and I turned my head, ignoring him.

We got out the woods and I saw my house nearby.

"You can put me down now" I said and he nodded, setting me down lightly.

"I hope you know, what they say isn't true" he said, helping me to the door.

"Whatever. Thanks for getting me home." I said, walking inside. I shuffled upstairs, locking the bathroom door and running a hot bath. This time, I made it bearable. I was in enough pain, I just wanted to go to bed. I stripped off my dirty clothes, grimacing at my reflection. My body was covered in scars usually, but now there were bruises and blood everywhere. I got in the bath, holding my breath and wincing as the water hit my wounds. I laid down, my hair floating around me. The bath water was already turning a mix of red and brown. I closed my eyes, sighing as the pain subsided.

When I went to bed that night, I thought about Luke. We didn't match, not one bit. I didn't deserve friends, or anything good. I was a lost cause, and I couldn't be rescued.