Chapter 12

Luke's P.O.V.

She didn't show up at school for 3 days. I could feel myself panicking, even though I shouldn't. I didn't have the right. I was shaky throughout the whole day, constantly on edge. Finally, I went to look for Finn. He was leaning against a wall, around the back of the school looking exhausted. A cigarette sat between his lips. He took a long drag, closing his eyes as he exhaled.

"Hey Luke" he smiled as I stood in front of him

"Hey Finn, you alright?" I asked, looking at how worn out he was.

"Can I tell you something?" he asked, standing up straight. I nodded.

"What is it?"

"It's about Rose." He said, and my heart instantly dropped.

"What about her?" I asked nervously.

"She's not okay, Luke. The past few days she hasn't been sleeping, talking or eating. She never eats anyway, but now she's just refusing. Yesterday she had a complete meltdown,worse than anything I'd ever seen. I don't know what's happening to her. She smashed glasses, she was a mess, and I saw them" he said, whispering the last part.

"Them?" I asked, confused.

"Her scars" he said, a tear rolling down his face. I froze, my heart stopping.

"You did?" I whispered, trembling slightly.

"On her arm, I just pretended I didn't see" he croaked, and I hugged him tightly.

"What are you going to do?" I asked and he shook his head.

"Nothing, I can't do anything."

But I could.

+

I knocked on her window, my legs gripping onto the branch outside. I could just make out her body lying in the bed, barely making a lump in the sheets. She sat up, catching my stare. Her mouth hung open slightly, watching me. She slowly stood up, making her way over to the window. She swung it open, and I noticed she wasn't wearing a jumper. She was in just a vest top, and I saw the full extent of her cuts.

"What is it Luke?" she asked, nervously crossing her arms behind her back.

"Can I come in?" I asked and she shook her head.

"No, you can't" she whispered.

"Rose, please. We need to talk" I pleaded, and she sighed, helping me in.

"What do you want?" she asked, walking to the bed and throwing a hoodie on.

Rose's P.O.V.

As I pulled the hoodie over my head, I felt two arms wrap around my body from behind. I froze, my body solid. Luke turned me around, and I couldn't help but fall into his chest. I felt his body tremble slightly, as I realised he was crying.

"I'm so, so sorry" he whispered, and I looked up at him.

"Why do you do it?" I asked quietly.

"Because I'm selfish. I'm a coward." he said, a tear falling from his eye onto my cheek. He wiped it off, his hand gently cupping my cheek.

"Can't you stop treating me like them?" I asked and he sighed.

"I don't know, it's stupid. I know it is Rose." he said, wiping his tears softly before they could fall. I sighed quietly, before laying on the bed. He laid beside me, wrapping and arm around me. I found myself resting my head on his chest, listening to his soft and steady heartbeat. He ran his hand through my hair, twirling it around his finger as we laid in silence.

"I'm sorry" he said again, and I nodded into his chest.

"That's okay, I'm used to it" I said and he sat up, sititng me in front of him.

"You shouldn't be used to it. You shouldn't have to go through this, day in and day out." he said, holding me tightly in his arms.

"Luke, it's fine, okay?" I sighed, looking at him. He didn't say anything, just stared at me. He took a deep breath, before moving closer to me. In a second his lips were against mine, making me gasp in shock. He pulled away quickly, his face deep red.

"I'm sorry" he stuttered, sitting up quickly. I thought for a second, gathering all the courage in me, before rejoining our lips. He wrapped his arms around my waist, rolling my body on top of his, and sitting up. He smiled against my lips and we pulled away again.

"Now we're even" I smiled, and he kissed my nose.

"I like you" he admitted and I smiled at him.

"I like you too" I whispered, as he hugged me tightly.

"We'll sort this out, together. I promise" he said, as I leant into his chest.

"Are you sure?" I asked and he laughed.

"Of course I am" he said, running a hand lightly through my hair.

"What about school, what about them, what about-"

"It'll be fine, Rose. I'll make sure it's fine. I won't let them hurt you anymore" he said, kissing me again.