Shade who was already sitting in the back seat of her car, gave me a small nod. I smiled at her, as I tried to calm her down.

"Well, let's get going." Emem sighed. I nodded at her before walking over to our designated driver.

Here goes nothing.

                                • • •

Soon, the four of us arrived at mum's private hospital, and met on the stairs that led to the building.

I could sense Shade panicking beside me, I placed my right hand on her left ones. "It's alright Shade." I whispered into her ear, before entering into the building.

Doctors and nurses, began to show curtsey to Emem and I, cause they recognized us as their boss's daughters.

"Wait here," I said to the girls, before walking over to Miss Lillian, the Secretary.

"Good afternoon, Miss Ekanem." Miss Lillian greeted politely.

"Afternoon, Lillian." I replied, before glancing at my wrist watch. I had like three hours left, before the clock hit six. I needed to hurry, cause test sometimes takes time. "Is my mum in?"

Miss Lillian nodded her head, "She just finished performing a heart surgery. She'd be in her office as we speak." I nodded at her words before turning to holler at Emem.

"Hey, Emem! Come with me." I heard Emem grumbling some words which fell in line with, 'She couldn't even add the word please'.

We strode over to mum's office. Once in front of the door, I gave it a small knock before opening it.

Mum, who was busy checking some files that was placed on her desk, glanced up to see who decided to walk into her office without permission.

"Eno, Emem, what are you girls doing here?" Mum looked stunned. She definitely wasn't expecting us.

"We've got something at hand, mum." Emem said calmly, as she helped herself by sitting on one of the guest seats that was facing mum's desk.

"Is Eno expelled from school?"

"Hey," I yelled a little, as I looked at mum. "Not cool."

"Well, it's gonna happen sooner or later__"

"Or never." I said to mum.

Mum leaned back on her seat, with both hands folded below her chest. "Then what is it?"

Emem and I shared a look, before I decided to speak. "Mum, you know Shade, right?"

Mum creased her brows for a second or two. "The girl who's always with a book?" Emem and I nodded our heads.

"She got abused by her step dad, same time Emem arrived." Mum sat upright, as Emem and I took turns narrating Shade's predicament.

"So, she thinks she might be pregnant?" Emem and I nodded.

"She claims to have the signs of early pregnancy." Emem informed mother.

"I see," Mum continued. "I would like to have a word with her. Can you both accompany her to my personal lab?"

"Yes mum," Emem said almost immediately. "And thanks mum, for not judging her."

"This is an abuse, she isn't at fault here. The people at fault, are her mum and step dad. Just take her to the lab, while I grab my lab coat." Emem and I rushed out of mum's office. We quickly approached Sofia, who was trying so hard to calm a nervous Shade.

"Shade, mum asked us to take you to the lab." Shade lifted her head from her palms, to look at me. I walked over to her and grasped her right wrist. "Come on, let's go."