Chapter 41 - Raven

Bold Font - Time/Location

Italic Font - Thoughts

Hours had passed since Qrow made sure Ruby and her friends made it safely to Higanbana. It was dark at night, and darker than night due to the rain currently hitting the region. Nobody wants to stay outside during that weather, not even Qrow. After locating his traditional kind of establishment, he entered the bar. Sitting down solemnly at a dark wooden table lit only by the candle in front of him, the elite Huntsman looked through the window to the Inn which Ruby and her team were checking in to. As the waitress began to walk away, Qrow realized he had only just sat down.

Qrow: "Wait a minute, I didn't order this..."

Turning in his seat to face the lady walking away, he grabbed her attention.

Qrow: "Oh I didn't-"

Waitress: "From the woman upstairs. Red eyes. Said you wouldn't mind a bottom shelf."

Looking at the waitress and then to the area upstairs, Qrow immediately knew who it was who had ordered his drink.

Qrow: "Thanks."

Though he expected the moderately attractive waitress to leave, she tried her luck and began to flirt with the man.

Waitress: "But I went ahead and gave you top. Lucky you."

She gave Qrow a seductive wink and walked away to her next task. Qrow on the other hand was grinning like a child on his birthday as she departed from the table. Remembering what he came here for, he looked back at the Inn window no longer able to see anyone inside.

Qrow: "Yeah..."

Qrow walked over to the wooden stairs of the bar. It was large, but dimly lit. Though it was nice to know someone finds him attractive, he knew he couldn't settle down any time soon. There was much work to be done. Once he reached the top of the stairs, he found a woman in a red and black robe, red eyes, and long black hair similar to Yang's sitting in the corner. Nobody else was on the upper level. There was also a white Grimm-styled mask with red markings sitting on the table next to her.

Woman: "Hello brother."

Revealed to be Qrow's sister, he hesitated for a moment before greeting her and sitting down with her.

Qrow: "Raven."

As he reached the table and pulled out one of the many wooden chairs, Qrow eyed the large mask on the table, taking up arm space that he apparently wanted. Raven took a few seconds before sighing in annoyance realizing she wanted him to move the mask. She did so, and he sat down.

Qrow: "So, what do you want?"

Raven: "A girl can't just catch up with her family?"

Qrow: "She can, but you're not. How about we get on with it?"

Taking a swig from the glass, he knew his sister was up to something. It was just a matter of finding out what that is.

Qrow: "Unless you plan on keeping these coming."

He set his glass down on the table while Raven decided to listen to her brother's advice. Qrow began rubbing his index finger in a circular pattern along the rim of the glass.

Raven: "Does she have it?"

Deciding not to give Raven the emotional upper hand in the conversation, Qrow wanted to see if Raven still cared for her daughter.

Qrow: "Did you know Yang lost her arm?"

Raven jumped forward slightly in anger, seeing what Qrow was trying to do.

Raven: "That's not-!"

Qrow: "Rhetorical question. I know you know. It's just obnoxious that you bring up family then carry on like your own daughter doesn't exist."

Raven: "I saved her."

Qrow: "Once. Because that was your rule, right? Real "mom of the year" material, sis."

This was true. During a fight on a train that Roman Torchwick and the White Fang had stolen back at Mountain Glenn, an expansion of Vale, Raven saved Yang from death by Roman Torchwick's henchman, Neo. Fed up with Qrow's ignorance, Raven grabbed his arm aggressively.

Raven: "I told you Beacon would fall, and it did. I told you Ozpin would fail, and he has. Now you tell me. Does...Salem...have it?"

Qrow: "I thought you weren't interested in all of that."

Raven: "I just want to know what we are up against."

Qrow: "And which "we" are you referring to?"

Qrow smirked at Raven's frustration. It was good to have her on the fearful end and to have her be the one asking questions instead of being one step ahead as she usually was. Raven narrowed her eyes and aggressively pulled away from Qrow, sitting back down in her seat instead of leaning over the table. Qrow picked up his drink and sighed at what he was about to say next. Whether or not she made mistakes, she's still his sister and Yang's mother.

Qrow: "You should come back, Raven. The only way we beat her is by working together. All of us."

Raven: "You're the one who left. The tribe raised us, and you turned your back on them."

Qrow and Raven came from a tribe of bandits. Not a family you'd like to be raised by, but it had its perks. Qrow took a sip of his alcohol and explained why he did it.

Qrow: "They were killers and thieves."

Raven: "They were your family."

Qrow: "You have a very skewed perception of that word."

Raven had enough. She rapidly ascended from her seat, pushing the chair back with her legs.

Raven: "I lead our people now. And as leader I will do everything in my power to ensure our survival."

Qrow: "I saw. The people of Shion saw too."

Raven: "The weak die, the strong live. Those are the rules."

Qrow: "Well you've certainly got someone strong on your side. I've seen the damage."

Raven: "We couldn't have known the Grimm would set in as quickly as they did."

Raven tried to play it off like it wasn't their fault or intention to cause that much damage. On a normal person her excuse may have worked, but not Qrow. He was too well informed.

Qrow: "I'm not talking about the Grimm, and I'm not talking about you either."

Raven: "If you don't know where the Relic is, then we have nothing left to talk about."

As Raven attempted to withdraw from the conversation, she reached for her mask. Qrow swiftly placed his hand down on the mask preventing her from picking it up. Raven may have been done, but Qrow wasn't.

Qrow: "I don't know where the Spring Maiden is either. But if you do, I need you to tell me."

Raven placed both hands on her mask and dragged it away from Qrow's grip.

Raven: "And why would I do that?"

Qrow: "Because without her we're all going to die."

Raven chuckled a little before one of the candle lights symbolically went out.

Raven: "And which "we" are you referring to?"

Raven placed her mask back on her face and walked away from the table. She unsheathed her sword and slashed the air in front of her, creating a blood-red portal what she walked into. Unfortunately for Qrow, the same waitress from earlier saw Raven walk through. Terrified at what she just saw, the platter on which she brought the drink tipped over, causing the glass to fall over and shatter catching Qrow's attention. Since it was pretty normal for Qrow, he turned back around and held his drink out to the waitress with an uninterested expression on his face.

Qrow: "Make this one a double."