Chapter Eight

I was walking up the stairs to the third floor to busy myself with work so I wouldn't have to think about any royal politics that I may become tangled up in. My steps were becoming faster alongside my thoughts, "Honestly, this job was meant to be comfortable and quiet whilst I figured out my life path, and now I'm responsible for the continuation of a Duke's life path? I did not sign up for this. I've been here two years, not once has this kind of predicament been mentioned. I need a raise." I was rambling to myself as if I were presenting my case in court, which I think I would do quite convincingly right now with my irritation rising to an unholy level.

"Now, now Kitten, no one is asking you to protect me. If they were, they may as well have my casket at the ready." Zachery was standing outside the swinging door at the top of the winding stairs that led to the third floor landing, as if he was waiting for something, or someone. He seemed to be in no rush to move, and just stood there, smirking at me as he tilted his head in an amused manner that raised my irritation to its breaking point.

"Kitten? And what are you? A donkey?" I said this bitterly, as I couldn't hide my frustration at him blocking my way to something that could actually take my mind off of things.

Zachery let a quick laugh out, then stopped immediately after one breath, as if he were turning his amusement on and off with a switch. "Kitten, you appear on the outside to be a bundle of joy, but you have claws that come out of no where, and with no doubt could draw blood. You are feisty. Although Audrey-Rose is a delightful name, it is a dreadful mouthful, so I had to come up with an easier alternative." He concluded with a look of achievement, as if he wanted me to congratulate him on his quick thinking, or swoon over him calling me 'Kitten'. "Also, the donkey remark... I can be an ass, I won't deny that, however I believe that I have been nothing but courteous to you, Kitten." He knew it bugged me, so that's why he's emphasising it. How charming.

I couldn't deny the fact that he has been tolerable towards me, and even when he makes remarks towards me, he never speaks them in a vindictive way, only with amusement. However I could not allow him to know this, therefore I decided to carry on. "Quite right. As lovely as this conversation has been, I must get on with my work. After your little meeting this morning with the staff, I needed to do something to occupy my mind, even if that involves changing sheets and scrubbing bathrooms." I began to walk towards the door that Zachery was blocking, hoping that he would move if he saw the conviction in my steps. But of course, he didn't. As I was as close to the door as I could get without actually pushing him through with me, he edged over to the right so that he was directly in the middle of the door, and directly in front of me.

He looked down towards me, folding his arms and letting out a slight sigh, showing his growing impatience with my attitude. "Yes, about that. We need to talk." He said this in a way that convinced me he was serious, and not simply trying to pester me because he was bored. And this brought back my earlier concern of what Giles was saying. "But here is not the place, come with me." He said this while holding the swinging door open for me, ushering me to go through. I began walking down the corridor and couldn't help but notice how my heart rate had suddenly sped up to a point where I could hear my heartbeat thudding against my chest and into my throat, the sound almost drowned out our footsteps in my ears.

"Where are we going?" I asked, even though I could guess the answer.

"Well, if you are going to service my suite, I gather that would be a good place to start, don't you think, Miss?" Zachery said this in a sarcastic tone, hinting towards my ridiculous question in the first place.

"Wha-" he cut me off by pressing his finger to my lips before I could finish my questioning.

"I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I do require my sheets to be changed and toiletries restocked." He said whilst looking me in the eyes, piercing me with the intense glare. I understood this look as one of 'please forgive me, I'll explain later.' I knew this look well, as it was the exact same one I often gave to Nerissa when she was dragged unknowingly into one of my awkward situations that I had to dig myself out of.

We finally reached his room, where Zachery held out his key to open the door, held it open for me to enter, and casually glanced round the corridor to inspect the scene before coming in himself and closing the door firmly behind him.

"Right," he said "now I can talk freely. Remember that note I left under your door? I need to ask you those questions now."

So it was meant for me?