Chapter 18: Bar Night

Start from the beginning

"What did they find?" Ela asked. She had a feeling it would have something to do with how absurdly fast his arm had healed.

"That the gas had seemingly done what the White Mask had intended it to do. Create super soldiers." Ela's eyes flicked up to his at the remark.

"Super soldiers?" Kade nodded.

"What little intelligence could be gathered about the attack was that they planned on kidnapping survivors and turning them into weapons. Their plans went awry when everyone involved in the attack died; except for me. It was a miracle they assumed I was a lifeless corpse." he explained.

"What makes you a super soldier?" she asked. Kade got a far away look in his eye as he passed her the lit cigarette.

"Enhanced strength, senses, healing. An increased lifespan. High pain tolerance. High resistance to the negative effects of drugs. High resistance to disease and illness. The list goes on." he rattled off.

"Do Robert and Anna know? Erik?" Kade shifted uncomfortably.

"No, Robbie and Anna don't. Erik does." They said nothing after that, the silence stretching like long mountain valleys, the shadows of the clouds passing slowly over pure green pasture.

"Well?" Kade said.

"Well what?" Ela answered. There was no hostility in her voice, just confusion.

"Do you...think differently of me now?"

"Why would I? What happened was out of your control and irrelevant to who you are as a person." she said, moving to trace the outline of the telltale glove, anchor and eagle of the insignia of the USMC.

"Is it so far removed?" Kade wondered.

"You ask if these changes of yours makes me see you in a different light. I'm telling you no. It is that simple." Kade let out a long breath.

"Really? Damn, now I feel a little stupid for being so worried." Ela chuckled as she exhaled smoke.

"You are severely underestimating my devotion, kochanie." (translation: darling) "Why tell me now? Did something come up?" she questioned. Kade let out a sigh.

"That smoke, the X-virus, was just a trial run of what you now know as the Chimera virus. They're going to weaponize it again. At Metropolitan college, on the 17th anniversary of the attack, March 1st. Harry asked me to take point for the Op." Kade said. Ela stopped tracing her finger on the Marine insignia. She could feel a light dread creep just beyond the glowing happiness and comfort she was feeling at the moment.

"Those skurwysyns. Why Metropolitan again?" (translation: bastards) Kade's tone grew serious.

"I'm not sure. I'm hoping the general our team captured will be able to give us some idea. But what it does tell us is we are no longer dealing with a group led by faceless board of execs. They have a figurehead." he said. Ela crinkled her eyebrows.

"Hm. Extrapolate. Tell me more." she said. He chuckled,

"Nice vocab."

"I learn from the best. Now explain. When you go into lecture mode it excites me." Ela said, giving him a sucking kiss on the inner thigh. He smiled in the way one does when they've had the perfect amount of drugs and sex.

"Let's see...I'll use a metaphor. Let's say the White Mask is a business. If-"

"Give the business a name. Makes it more fun that way." Ela said playfully. Kade chuckled as he lit another cigarette.