Chapter 40 - Family

Bold Font - Time/Location

Italic Font - Thoughts

The question lingered in Yang's mind for a moment or two. Should she keep holding off on trying out the arm? It would make life a lot easier if she sat in her home for the rest of her says, safe from the rest of the world. If she put it back on...it would be a commitment to regain what she once lost. Oobleck commented on the question, agreeing with Port and trying to encourage Yang to be the person she once was.

Oobleck: "Oh yes yes! A piece of Atlas technology being given out like that is rare indeed, not to mention the effort it took to deliver it here. It seems a great many people want to see you return to normal."

Normal. Yang hated hearing that word. Things wouldn't be normal now, robotic arm or not. She looked at the professors before solemnly eyeing her stub. Since things aren't normal anymore, it wouldn't hurt revealing her true feelings.

Yang: "I'm...scared. Everyone keeps talking about me getting back to normal and I appreciate it. But...this is normal now. It's just...taking me a while to get used to it."

Taiyang: "Well, normal is what you make of it."

Yang: "What is that supposed to mean? Do you want me to just pretend like nothing happened? I lost a part of me. A piece of me is gone, and it's never coming back."

Taiyang gazed down at the floor in defeat before trying to counter her absolute thinking.

Taiyang: "You're right, it's not coming back...but that doesn't have to stop you from becoming who you want to be. You're Yang Xiao Long, my sunny little dragon."

Further supporting his daughter, he placed his hand on her shoulder while she listened with admiration and most importantly hope.

Taiyang: "You can do whatever you put your mind to. So whenever you're ready to stop moping, and get back out there, I'll be there for you."

It was Yang's turn to be on the losing side of the argument, if there was such a thing in this case. Confused, scared, and indecisive were words that could describe her in this scenario.

Yang: "I..."

Before Yang could try and find another excuse to not use the arm, Port gave more words of wisdom, which were rare from him.

Port: "Fear is like any other emotion. It comes and goes. It's all in how you handle it. Why, even I find myself wrestling with that emotion from time to time."

Yang narrowed her eyes in a dumbfounded, yet sarcastic way.

Yang: "Really? You?"

Oobleck leaned over to Yang to whisper and add some comedic but realistic input.

Oobleck: "He's afraid of mice."

Almost instantly after, Port slammed his fist on the table sending the cutlery and beverages a few centimeters into the air.

Port: "THEY BRING ONLY DISEASE AND FAMINE!"

Yang started chuckling at his melodramatic view on Mice. Port on the other hand took the matter seriously and continued his rant.

Port: "And don't even get me started on their tails! So hairless...simply unnatural."

By this time, Yang was turning pink from laughter. Taiyang looked at her daughter, proud that this time spent with her mentors and father was doing some good. Seeing his "sunny little dragon" laughing and acting...for a lack of a better word, normal, was one of the happiest feelings a dad can feel. While Yang was having a laughing fit, Oobleck tried to reassure Port that there were no mice in the vicinity.

Oobleck: "Port I assure you, you're safe. There's no mice here right now."

Time passed before Yang decided to call it a night. The lights were out and the Huntsman were leaving the house, saying goodbye to Taiyang. Walking up the stairs, Yang informed the trio that she was turning in.

Yang: "Goodnight."

She walked into her room, looking around to make sure the bed was set. Once her eyes landed upon the arm, she remembered that she was missing one of her two originals. The time Yang had spent with her friends caused her to completely forget her arm was missing. At first, she treated this as a bad thing. A reminder that the pain and trauma would always be there. Taking a breath in, she walked over to the window to see the trio of men outside of the house saying goodbye to one another. As she looked upon them, she began to think that maybe having a new arm wasn't such a bad thing. She lost the old one, but maybe this was just an upgrade. Something new she hadn't tried yet.

Port: "Thanks for having us over, Tai."

Taiyang: "Any time. You're always welcome."

Oobleck: "It may be a while before we return. There is still much work to be done at the school."

Port: "I...hesitate to ask, but...is there any word from young miss Rose?"

Taiyang: "Not yet..."

Oobleck: "Have you thought about going after her? Trying to bring her home?"

Taiyang sighed in disappointment and exhaustion before explaining why he hadn't yet done so.

Taiyang: "I've got to...look after some things."

Timeskip - Mistral Forest

It was early in the morning on the continent of Mistral. The teams lead by Ruby and Crane were walking through the forest once again on the path to Haven Academy. Ruby had the map again as she confidently took charge of the group.

Ruby: "Come on guys! If we pick up the pace we can hit the next town before sunset!"

Jaune: "Assuming it's still there..."

Pyrrha: "Jaune...don't be so negative."

Ruby: "Of course it's still there! This one's supposed to be pretty big."

Gizmo: "Better be, I'm starving."

Shark: "I could eat a whole Rancor!"

Ruby looked at the map, attempting to read the label of said town.

Ruby: "Hee...gan...bay...na..."

Ren had heard of this village before and helped Ruby out.

Ren: "Higanbana. It's a well-protected village with a popular inn."

Nora: "Which means, no camping in the rain!"

Apollo: "It'll be good to sleep somewhere not on the ground for a change."

Ruby: "See, everything's gonna be fine!"

Jaune: "You know, we've had a lot of ups and downs, but things could be a lot worse. Really thought we'd see more Grimm."

Ren: "As did I."

Crimson: "As long as I can kill 'em, we're good."

Nora: "I guess our luck is finally turning around. To Higanbana!"

Everyone chanted the last part of Nora's sentence in unison, with Ruby still trying to pronounce it correctly. While they were all in good spirits, they failed to notice a beowolf at the top of the cliff behind them about to charge. As it prepared to pounce, a metal blade could be heard being unsheathed. Said blade was swiftly stabbed through the Grimm's torso and then it began to fade to ash with the eyes turning dim from the previous yellow glowing state. The killer was revealed to be none other than Qrow, tailing the group to make sure nothing happened to them. Behind him were more beowolf corpses, indicating that he had been slaying them for quite some time. Down on the path below, Crane grinned slightly while using the Force to sense what was going on behind them. Nobody could see his smirk except Ruby who assumed it was just related to the pleasant attitude of the group.

Crane: "Nicely done Qrow..."

Qrow sheathed his sword before taking notice of a raven that was sitting on a tree, cawing at him. The bird took off toward Higanbana while Qrow watched it fly with an expression that seemingly indicated that he had a connection of some sort with it. He scoffed at it and gave a comment.

Qrow: "Luck."