20 | Shouldn't Have Been Alone

Start from the beginning

"I'll get the particulars later, just- house is owned by Luther Markov." Antonio said.

"Yeah."

"We gotta roll." The EMT said. Kim hopped in the back, grabbing Ana's hand.

"Can you hear me?" Kim asked, lightly squeezing her hand.

"Incoming!"

"Four inch laceration to the back of the head. Possible broken humerus. Gunshot wounds to the left side. Can't find an exit wound. Could have a pierced lung." EMT stated.

"Get her to trauma bay one. Prep her for CT. Call X-ray. You were at the scene?" The doctor asked Kim.

"Yeah. She's my partner."

"You know what I'm gonna find?"

"I don't know, looked like bird-shot." Kim said as she shook her head.

-

"Bomb Unit did a sweep of the place. Back door was linked to an improvised napalm grenade." Hank said.

"I thought you were officially detailed to task force." Toni said, seeing Erin.

"Well, when my sister gets shot, I'm gonna push it a day." Erin said.

"Shooter was waiting for her here?" Erin asked.

"There was no shooter."

"No shooter? Who pulled the trigger?" Toni questioned.

"The buzzer was rigged to the trigger of the gun. Ana depresses the button..." Hank trailed off.

"So our killer is what, some kind of brilliant tech whiz?" Erin looked at the gun.

"Don't give him too much credit. It'll only disappoint you when we catch him." Hank smirked.

"You found the sensor in the bathroom?" Kim asked.

"No, let's see it." Al said, following behind her.

"It's this tile right here."

"It's a weight sensor." Al lifted the tile up.

"So the way this goes is: I enter, I step on that thing, the music starts blasting in the bedroom. I go to turn the music off, and that's when I trip the shotgun rig."

"And the homeowner's on a person of interest list. We got Mr. Unidentified taking a bath. This nut knew we were coming. He wanted to hurt cops." Al sighed.

"Voight." Antonio called.

"Is it okay if I head to the hospital with Ana?"

"Yeah, go ahead. I'll call you with any update." Antonio nodded, getting in his car.

"Hey, you okay?" Adam asked. Kim shook her head.

"It's my fault. I shouldn't have been arguing with her, I should've been by her side."

"Hey, don't do that. Don't blame yourself. There was nothing you could've done, there was no way you could've seen that."

"Yeah, you're right. I'm gonna uh..yeah." she quickly walked away.

As they regrouped at the district, everyone's mind was on Ana's condition.

"Hey, Alvin, any update?" Hank asked.

"They took three pellets out of her chest. No internal damage. They left two in her arm, they say it's in a safe position, whatever the hell that means." Al shook his head.

"Well, she's tough, she'll get through this." Jay said.

"Positive I. D. on our victim in the tub Luther Markov, 73 years old. Retired dean of psychology at Central Chicago University. He's divorced. Family isn't local. Nothing in his background. He was a model citizen." Ruzek read over the file.