16 | dear name

"Through the night that was endlessly long and thick and dark,

I know you wish had silently disappeared

I'll wait for a long time, I will definitely find you

Even if you're so far away that I can't see you" - IU

+.+.+

The final bell rings just as I receive a text from Blair's brother.

Henry: I just texted you the address, my mate says you can skip the interview. You're in! Come after school.

I am surprised at how easy that was to get the job. Usually the process requires submitting resumes, going through interviews and then working trial days, before actually getting a job.

All I needed was to send a picture of myself and I was in. It was quite suspicious but I decided to trust Henry.

I used to have a job before I was made to quit by my father. He was adamant on not letting me lift a finger and desperate to make up to me for not having a mother around. He couldn't admit that it would have been better for me to contribute to our finances, that it would mean he didn't have to pick up extra shifts and work overtime. He wanted to provide me with everything he could himself and refused my help. It was frustrating for me to sit back and do nothing while my father struggled with our expenses.

Being under my mother's care now meant that I didn't have to obey his rules no longer. I can now make my own money and become useful.

I quickly get out of my seat and pack away my things, but Caitlin stops me in my tracks.

Once again. Like she always does, and now I'm extremely sick of it.

"What now?" I basically growl.

She crosses her arms and narrows her eyes at me and the whole class also halts whatever they're doing to witness this. "How do you know Jace Archer?"

I turn away from her to huff out an annoyed sigh. See I was expecting this to happen, just not this late to be honest. It must have really hurt her pride to have asked this, because she is simmering, her expression boiling and full of bottled up anger at my agitated reaction.

"Of course I know him, he's the richest guy in school isn't he?" I say, playing dumb.

"Don't give me all that bull. You're leeching off him aren't you? And he's too nice to say shit about it!" She points an accusatory finger at me and I step back.

"Stay away from him. We don't need you to taint his reputation!"

I can see a few girls at the back that seem to think they have way too class to get involved but then also look quite glad and satisfied that they have Caitlin to say it all for them. Their lips quirk up at Caitlin's outrage, amused, but then when their eyes land on me, I see that they're just like her: With no class and full of hatred towards me just because of a boy.

"Can you mind your own damn business?"

I scoff before shoving Caitlin with force and she staggers back, hitting her hip onto a corner of a chair.

She cries out from the pain and then glares at me whilst clutching onto her hip like she had broken it. "How dare you? First Phillip and now me? What are you? Some thug? You're probably with Healers aren't you?"

"Stop being a cry baby and get out of my way!" I hiss. "Before you end up like Phillip. Or worse."

She looks at me with wide, unblinking eyes, and disbelief. My eyes lazily accesses her as I try to convey how sick I am of her through my expression. She can only manage a half-hearted scoff in attempt to regain her pride.