Nowhere To Run Now

The young woman woke up in her apartment relaxed and well rested at 6 o' clock in the morning before freshening up and getting herself some cereal for breakfast. She stood at her balcony on the third floor getting some fresh air before a certain person caught her eye. A man whose back was turned to her was on a black motorcycle on the side of a street directly in front of her balcony that impressed her. For a moment, she couldn't even see the man's legs as he was dressed in all black, matching the color of his bike while using his phone. She then turned on the TV to watch a news channel that showed breaking news of Vincent Thomas Bridge in Los Angeles had been demolished from the middle by the same brute that everyone knew about, but only dead victims had seen.

"Oh, God!", she whispered to herself as she stared intently at the screen. The middle section of the bridge was in the water. Smoke along with fire was everywhere as firefighters desperately tried to extinguish it.

"Better get going, I guess.", she whispered to herself.

She washed the bowl in the sink and then got ready for work. She called her boyfriend as she walked down the stairs of the building. "Hey, babe! You comin' to pick me up?"

He replied, "Sorry, Anne. The car's kinda bust and I'm getting it repaired at the moment. It'll take me at least an hour if you can wait that long?"

"Oh sure, sure! No problem. I'm not in a hurry. I'll be waiting. Love you."

"Love you too."

As she went back up her apartment and stood in the balcony, she noticed that the man on the motorcycle now had it facing her balcony. She became suspicious once she noticed that he was wearing a mask covering his whole face, but two holes were left out for his blue eyes, which he used to stare at her casually without even blinking. She had begun to feel uneasy.

A few minutes had passed and she felt a little bored so she walked over to her balcony once again out of habit to look at the people down below. Her heartbeat sped up once she made direct eye contact with the masked man again. He was in the same position as before and their eyes met in such a way as if he knew what her exact movements would be.

She instantly called her boyfriend and said once she heard "It's Greg, I'm not available. Leave a message", "Hey, uh, Greg? Listen, I'm gonna order an Uber today, is that okay? Um, I'll talk to you when I can."

She then ordered an Uber that took only about five minutes to get there. She hurriedly got in and felt relieved to see that the masked man stayed in his place instead of following her.

"Thank God.", she whispered to herself.

After a minute or so, she got a call from her friend and she picked up. "Hey, Allie!"

"Hey, you're not here yet. Everything okay?"

"Oh, Greg's car broke down and he said it would take a while to get it repaired so I got an Uber.", she chuckled.

"Ah, okay then. So I was wondering if you two wanted a double date with me and Henry tonight?"

"Yeah, sounds goo-", Anne dropped her phone once she looked in the rear view mirror to see that the masked man was on his motorcycle behind her.

"What the fuck?!", she nearly yelled.

She clumsily picked up her phone, "Hello? Allie? Sorry about that."

"What happened?"

"N-Nothing. It's all good. I'll, uh, see you at work.", she said in a shaky voice.

"Are you oka-", Anne hung up.

"Can you please speed up?!", she impatiently asked the Uber driver.