• fifty-four •

Start from the beginning

He placed his chin on his fist as he looked at me. "I feel foolish."

I smiled, reaching for his hand. "You're not."

As soon as our hands met, my breath left my lungs...

...and I was falling backward.

There was nothing above me. There was nothing below me or around me.

I was screaming.

Spinning.

Falling

Falling into an abyss...

I suddenly stopped, feeling water fall over me.

"Sweetheart," the male voice was familiar. "Please, look at me."

I couldn't open my swollen eyes. Why would I? My heart was heavy, my soul full of despair. I was falling myself breaking apart at the seams. I couldn't go on. I didn't want to...

"Alteazor," a small voice said. "She won't move from the shower."

"I will take care of her, thank you, Alayna." His voice was closer. "Fetch the physician, I will make sure she is all right to see him."

"Yes, Alteazor," the small voice responded. Small footsteps echoed in the room as they retreated.

I felt his lips on my forehead. "Tianna, my love," he whispered tenderly. "Please open your eyes."

Slowly, without me doing it, my eyes opened.

Robyn sat on the shower floor with me, concern and love clearly written on his face. He didn't even turn off the showerhead and let the water rain over us both. 

He didn't seem to mind that his formal wear from the party was soaking through with the water.

"Alteazor," someone spoke from behind him. "Your guests, they're expecting--"

"I will dismiss the guests," a man spoke to the woman. "Leave your Alteazor and Alteaza be."

Robyn looked up to a man on the other side of the room. I followed my husband's eyes as they rested on the figures on the other side of the room. His brother, Warren, watched warily with his violet eyes. He was dressed finely too. Gold and precious stones shined brightly in the light of the cold, marble bathroom.

I'd ruined the party. I'd ruin the celebration that took all month to plan.

Robyn nodded in his direction. He seemed momentarily relieved. "Thank you, Brother."

The sound of the door closing echoed in the large marble bathroom.

"I'm sorry," I whispered as I met my husband's worried eyes. "I ruined your party."

"I don't care about the party, Tianna." He whispered back. "Come on, let's see if you can stand."

He held a gloved hand to me.

Gingerly, I took it, straining to stand with his help. "I-I-" My voice cracked and when I tried to stand, I fell back onto the tile floor. "I was almost ready for the party but then-" I stopped. "There was pain and I --" I looked at him through tear-filled eyes. "There was so much blood, Robyn. It soaked through my dress. I-I had to get the blood off me. I--" Sobs racked my body. "I lost another one. I'm so sorry." 

He placed his forehead against mine. He was feeling the same pain I was. It was visceral, like being cut down the middle. He wanted this child as much as I did.

When I told him of the child and how far along I'd been, he lifted me in joy, spun me around in elation.

But now, we both sat on the shower floor surrounded by blood, evidence that once again my body rejected another child. "No, my love. You did nothing wrong." He kissed my forehead. "Nothing wrong." He kissed my forehead again then my lips. "You did absolutely nothing wrong."