Xanthy called his name. Once, twice. He refused to look back nor acknowledge her voice because if he did, his resolve might vanish. What he's holding wasn't the High Queen's bane, so he couldn't hurt her. He's just a distraction so Xanthy could escape.

He strode out into the courtyard just as Canelis slammed into the wall inches from his head. The pixie growled as she crawled to stand up, sticking her sword into the ground and using it as a cane. June swept his arm forward, a shield flickering in front of them as icicles slammed into it. The courtyard shook with just the Heiress' aura.

"Go with the others," June turned to Canelis. "Through the west wing, like I said."

Canelis's expression was as flat and as hard as the stone walls that caged them. "I never run when a soldier's in need."

June exhaled. "You'll stand no chance against the Heiress," he played his last card. "Your people still need you. Go back for them."

A series of expressions flashed across Canelis's face. The last one that flickered was that of determination and resolve. She nodded grimly. "Keep up the faith, soldier."

June returned the gesture. "You have my word, Crown General."

Canelis sheathed her sword, turned, and disappeared into the corridors. Hopefully she could talk some sense to Xanthy. June took a deep breath and disabled his shield. The High Queen loomed before him, her wings spread wide and ominous. Several feathers pooled at her feet. When she spoke, it wasn't a cool breeze but a storm. "Where is the Virtakios?" the Heiress demanded.

June spread his legs, lowering himself into a stance. "You'd have to get through me to get an answer."

The High Queen hissed and flapped her wings. June gritted his teeth and barked out a spell. The wind between them crackled and snapped as the explosion stirred up debris and smoke. June forced his senses to work. He'd been in tougher havoc than this. He gripped his knife tightly, sweeping through the stinging haze for the High Queen. There, a few notches off east.

His legs pumped forward, carrying his body in a speed that he so longed to use again. The knife was poised back. His wrist was ready to flick. A figure formed through the settling dust. June plowed straight through and swiped his arm in a hard slash. The knife bit flesh. There's no blood.

The Heiress laughed, her voice taking over the whole courtyard. "I just love it when they try so hard."

Something slammed into June, burying his face to the ground. His back was heavy, a hand digging into his scalp. "I could squeeze your head right now and be done with it," the Heiress growled, the High Queen's inanimate lips moving according to the presence's will. "But that won't satisfy the amount of things you and your friends did to me."

June gasped as the Heiress grabbed a fistful of his hair and lifted him off the ground. With unnatural strength, the Heiress swung him back then let go as she sent him forward. He sailed across the courtyard, weightless, until he crashed into a wall. He felt his back break with the pain searing into his mind. He slid down the wall, muttering a healing spell.

"It's nice to have magic, yes?" the Heiress chuckled, using the High Queen's hand to drive her hair away from her forehead. "I can't play any longer now that Nevrin is fighting me. My, what strength has she developed."

June gritted his teeth against the pain. Stand up, fool. Fight. "Shut up, you freak," he rasped.

The Heiress threw her head back and laughed. Doing it with the High Queen's form added to the disturbing factor. "I am the Heiress," the High Queen's eyes narrowed. "I control the world and I give you no right to insult me."