10 | Mountain (II)

Reeca frowned at the parchment bearing the scrawled map of Elred's bunkers as she flew down the Glass Mountain's east side

Reeca frowned at the parchment bearing the scrawled map of Elred's bunkers as she flew down the Glass Mountain's east side. She tapped a finger on the map where Rabante's entrance should be. If Rabante's leader had a nosa dryde of a brain, they would surely start herding people there.

Rabante's canopies sped for Reeca the moment she tore through the thin layer of clouds around the plateau's flat top. The wind drove her hair down as she flapped her wings to steer herself forward. It looked like Nadia and the mages that could float in the air only focused on Abshire where Elred stayed. That gave Reeca enough time to fly down from Xixora having used one of the underground passages herself.

Reeca extended her arm as the first layer of the canopies neared. She shielded her eyes as leaves and branches slapped her face and arms. With a grunt, she closed her fingers around the first branch she could grab and swung herself onto a thicker branch, her boots locking in on its rough surface. Perfect landing.

Voices and metal clanging against metal rang from the forest floor. Reeca looked down to see a mass of soldiers covering almost every inch of the ground. She craned her neck up from where she flew down and saw a thin line of soldiers making their way up the plateau. Abshire. They're going for Abshire.

Reeca stretched her wings and started darting from tree to tree, careful of not catching the eye of a soldier looking up randomly. Her eyes swept across the army that flew, rode, or trudged their way up the plateau. She played with the cloaker slung around her neck. Let her hope that it actually hid her trail.

Explosions rang from the top of the plateau. Has it been long since she left Elred there? Gods. Elred couldn't be dying on Reeca. They still had an agreement to fulfill with Reeca almost holding up her end. How unfair the gods have to be if Elred died now?

Which brings Reeca to the point of her journey in Rabante. Find the leader and help him evacuate the shard fairies into Elred's bunker.

The army dressed in full, bulky armor sped below her as she changed trees to move forward. Reeca spied the twin generals she met in Cardina. Viktir, or Pikard, whichever, swiveled his head into Reeca's direction. Her breath hitched as she pressed herself into a tree's trunk. She relaxed when the man turned to his twin to whisper something.

Reeca blew a silent breath. Not a few trees later, Reeca spotted Diran who had changed from his soiled painter's tunic into a full armor encrusted with silver ores possibly imported from Avalora. More warriors dressed in almost the same armor made for Abshire. If this many soldiers make it up, Elred wouldn't stand a chance.

It's almost like the entirety of Synketros's forces were here. Reeca cursed. Of course, the Sovereign wasn't a fool to do that but if this number was just whatever portion of her army, then Reeca and Rhys didn't stand a chance. Not to mention, they still had Cardovia to worry about.

Reeca massaged her temples. Worry about that later. Save the shard fairies first.

Then, Reeca strained her ears to hear a sound other than the army marching below. There was...nothing. Not a bird's call or an animal's bray. Definitely no clinking glass. Reeca knitted her eyebrows. Where were the shard fairies?