It was a cool morning. The breeze bit at my cheeks as I made my way to Café de Fleur, just a few minutes from the school, my fingers freezing and numb despite being buried deep in my pockets, shielded from the wind. I quickened my pace, my breath condensing in the cold air.

I entered the café with a sigh of relief as I was enveloped in warmth, the bell of the door ringing to announce my entrance. Smiling at Vivienne, I walked towards the counter, excited for my latte to warm me up and rejuvenate me after a restless night.

I swung my bag off one shoulder, clutching it over my chest as I began to fish for my wallet.

Vivienne grinned at me wildly, her eyes full of smugness.

"So, when did you get a boyfriend?"

I paused to raise an eyebrow at her. "Well, I kissed Johnny Fedrago's cheek in kindergarten."

Vivienne let out a high-pitched laugh before nodding towards the far corner of the cosy café. "That cute boy's been waiting for you with your latte and biscotti."

My eyes widened as I turned, making eye contact with, of freaking course, Isaac Hensick. He offered me a smirk, raising his own cup to me before taking a sip from it. Unlike usual, his sketchpad was closed, his pencil sat beside his saucer.

I turned back to Vivienne who wiggled her eyebrows at me suggestively.

"Shut up," I said briefly before making my way towards Isaac, Vivienne's laughter echoing behind me.

My heart swelled in my chest as I approach Isaac. He looked handsome as usual, his cheekbones chiselled like a Greek god, his dark hair pushed back to reveal his mischievous eyes and dimpled smirk.

"Sup Aspirin," Isaac greeted as I reached his table. "Fancy seeing you here."

I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms over my racing chest. My fingers dug into my skin as I tried my best to seem nonchalant.

"Well," he gestured to the empty chair in front of my untouched latte, a paper bag filled with biscotti sitting beside it. "Take a seat."

I narrowed my eyes at him, slowly scraping the chair back and sitting down across from him. He watched me as I held my still-hot coffee in my hands, the warmth rushing through my body. I peered up to see him watching me carefully, his eyes narrowed, causing me to raise an eyebrow suspiciously.

"Is it spiked?"

Isaac let out a dramatic gasp, holding a hand to his chest in shock. "Frankly, I'm offended you'd even suggest that, dear Aspirin."

I rolled my eyes again, sipping my coffee and letting out a delighted moan. Now that's what I needed.

I peered over the lip of the cup to see him watching me carefully. Immediately, my face warmed.

"Well, thanks for the coffee." I pushed my chair back, the wood scraping harshly against the tile floor. I gripped the takeaway cup and my school bag tightly. "But I'd better leave now before I'm late."

I stood only for Isaac's tan fingers to grab my wrist gently, slightly pulling me back with a faux pout. "Don't leave."

"I'll be late," I muttered, slightly annoyed at this boy, who I hadn't ever spoken to a week ago, and his constant pestering.

Besides,he was holding my wrist. He was asking me to stay. My heart pounded andI felt nauseous at the idea of makingsmall talk with Isaac Hensick.

"Oh, sure, of course. Can't be late to school!" Isaac let out an exaggerated laugh, waving his hands in a condescending mimic of me. He quirked a brow at me, his cheek dimpling in a smirk. "Seriously, Aspirin, live a little. Sit down."