Chapter 1

I felt like I was floating, calm, and peaceful. I was weightless. My body was relaxed, like I had nothing to worry about, not a care in the world. Suddenly, it felt like I was plunged deep, under water. I held my breath, my heart rate hitched. I started to panic, trying to swim up to the surface but only to find that I couldn't. I finally made the decision to open my eyes seeing nothing but darkness.

The water was freezing cold, I began to get a huge urge to breathe. I was holding my breath for far too long. I tried to hold it for as long as I could, afraid of drowning. The feeling was unbearable and too strong, it forced my mouth to open, taking in all the salty water. I could feel all of the water just pouring down my throat, unable to stop it. I practically clawed at my throat, feeling so much discomfort. I knew I was gonna die, I was gonna drown any minute now. I was waiting for my demise until I realized, it never came. The discomfort faded away to nothing, I can breathe. I felt at ease, like I was at home, like I belonged there. The water strangely got a little bit warmer.

A light began to shine through the water, a ray of light. It made me rather curious why is there just a single ray of light. I noticed movement, I squinted my eyes to look closer since I couldn't go anywhere.

As I tried to look closer, a figure swam by it. My eyes widened as I jumped back in surprise and shock. Actually being able to move back a little, I felt the back of my head come into contact with the corner of a huge rock. It made my vision blur. From what I have saw from the creature, it looked to be just as big as me! Similar figure shape too, except no legs?

Something slithered by my feet, I yelped, yanking my legs up. I stared down where I had felt the thing, but saw nothing but darkness. I tried to get a closer look, until a hand reached out at me, grabbing my ankle. It yanked me down with force. I yelped in absolute shock. I was starting to disappear into the inky blackness of the ocean. I kicked at the thing that held onto my ankle, but it wouldn't budge for nothing. Once it reached the bottom, it held me down. I felt my toes graze upon the deep, cold sand that laid at the bottom of the ocean. My eyes had finally adjusted a little by now, there wasn't just one creature, there were like millions of them! They were all circling me, what were they doing? Actually, what were they all gonna do with me. They had human features, but instead of legs, they had what looked like fish tails.

Finally, I felt the hands leave me. I was no longer held down. But I couldn't feel my legs anymore. I looked down to see in its place, was a fish tail. Just like what the other creatures had. I felt my jaw drop in surprise, I was frozen in fear. I didn't know how to quite respond to this. Just before I could think about doing anything, a loud sound began to ring in my ears. I clamped my hands over my ears, squinting my eyes shut from how loud the sound was. When my eyes opened slightly, the creatures were gone.

I clamped them shut again until the sound had dialed down. I forced my heavy eyes to open but only to realize that I was in my bed and the sound I was hearing was my alarm. I sighed, rolling over, I slapped my hand over the off button. Moaning, I was far too tired to get up.

"Why did I have to get up so early for again?" I groaned, rubbing my eyes until a realization had hit me.
"Oh yeah... First day of school.."

I practically rolled out of bed to get ready. I threw on fresh, new clothes my Mother had bought me. Of course brushing my teeth and hair, I was sure I was completely ready before running all the down stairs.

"Hi honey. How'd you sleep?" I heard my Mom ask as I passed her to grab a cinnamon roll from the oven that she had prepared for me.

I took a bite. "Alright, I guess." My words came out slightly muffled by the food.

"Skylar, what have I told you? Please don't talk with your mouth full."

"Sorry, Mom. I gotta go. Can't be late on the first day of school! Love you!" I ran out the door, throwing my bag over my shoulder, taking another bite from the cinnamon roll.