Chapter 6

"Okay, you promise you.. Won't freak out, right?" I asked, worry lacing my voice.

"Yeah, I promise. Now what's the 'BIG' secret?" Noah almost laughed.

I hesitated, then I looked up and pointed to the door. "Can you lock that?"

Noah looked back to the door then back to me in confusion. "Okay.." He locked the door then sat back on his knees in front of me.

Laid out around me was a cup of water and a towel. I have no other choice, I have to tell someone.
"It's something huge, I'm in trouble." I began to get even more concerned. What will happen afterwords? Will he run? Tell on me? Abandon me? My fear was visible. "Are you sure you're not gonna freak out or tell or-" I was cut off when Noah's hand went over mine.
I looked up to him.

"I promise." He said, sounding so serious. "I won't tell, whatever it is, I'll always be here for you."
Noah was always known for joking around, so seeing him so serious like this was new.

I couldn't help but slightly smile. I knew I did pick a good choice in friends. I took the water and poured a little onto my bare legs. Noah seemed confused and raised an eyebrow at me. The tingly feeling came over me, the bright colors began to swirl. Blowing my hair back in the little breeze it was producing.

"Whoa!" Noah jumped back, not expecting this to happen. He ran to the other side of the room, keeping distance. The colors faded and my tail appeared.
I looked up to him, shyly. Waiting patiently for a response from him.
He slowly approached me, eyeing my tail suspiciously.
He seemed shocked, scared, and confused all at once.

"Please don't tell! My Mom doesn't even know." I blurted out.

He slowly crouched down next to me, hesitantly placing a hand onto my tail. "Wow.." He looked up to me.
"This is cool." He smiled. As those words came out his mouth, I eased up.

"You're.. Not freaked out?" I gave him a nervous smile.

"Well I'm shocked, but not freaked out." He looked me up and down. "How did this happen?"

"Well.. Long story short. When we left from Ava's I got caught up in the storm and fell under the bridge in the water. I don't know how is this even possible that I got turned into some type of mythical sea creature that is said to be fake."
I paused, then remembered what happened earlier.

"AND... Apparently they are real. When I was up at the docks, they yanked me under and told me they want me. And that I'm gonna turn more mermaid than human each passing day. Gaining... Super powers or whatever you wanna call it." I added.

"Super powers you say?" Noah raised an eyebrow with a slight grin.

"Noah!" I clapped my hands. "This isn't a good thing. When I turn into a full mermaid I'll never be able to come back. I'll be stuck living in the ocean for the rest of my life."

I gave him a very serious look. "We need to find a way to reverse the curse."

"How? You just said you fell into the water during a storm. How do we even reverse it? Or is there even a way too?" Noah jumped up.

I froze for a moment, then shook it off. "There HAS to be a way. And maybe, I might know exactly who would know how to reverse it." I smiled.

Hold on a minute, how long is your tail suppose to last?" Noah questioned, pointing to my tail. I looked down to it, my expression falling.

"I- I don't know. It never lasted this long before."

"It's already happening! Your losing your human side." Noah said, slightly panicked.

"Normally if I use a towel, it'll help." I grabbed the towel next to me and began to give it a good rub down. After about ten minutes, still no legs.

"Or..... do you think.. You. Completely lost your human side all together?" Noah's eyes held fear.

"No! I couldn't have! They said each passing day I would become more mermaid. Not lose it all together!" I began to rub my tail faster.

"What do I do if you're now fully mermaid? Take you back to the ocean?"

"What? No! Do you really want the mermaids to take me away?" I asked panicked.

"No no! I just don't know what to do." If you can't live in land, I don't think I can just toss you into the tub. How about Ava's pool? Clean out all the chlorine and put salt in it instead." Noah suggested.

"That would probably be the only solution now. But she doesn't know-" before I could finish, the bright colors began to swirl.

"Oh thank goodness!" I cried. My legs finally appeared. I rubbed them and jumped up, happily.

"That was scary." I sighed.

"Yeah but, Skylar. The day when you won't change back has to be close. It won't be long till that day comes." Noah stated seriously.