Chapter 2

Victoria's pov.

*8 years later*

"Victoria, Victoria!" I heard my mum faintly shout from the distance, I heard her loud footsteps coming towards my bedroom door. I was under the covers so comfortable in the position I lay. I was so tired from the night before and I just wanted to sleep in.

My mother stormed in and turned on the light, she shouted "Victoria, you're going to be late on your first day hurry up!"

I didn't budge I just kept on sleeping, hoping she would just give up and not let me go to school. Suddenly I felt my mum shake me.

"Okay okay, I'm up! God!" I sleepily said. Today I start my first day of high-school, I'm not all that excited about it, to be honest I'm actually really nervous. It was going to be so different and the word 'different' scares me.

My mum, my brother and I are the only ones together in my house, we always looked out for each other, I guess we had to but. The last time I heard the word 'different' was when I found out that my dad and brother were involved in a fatal car accident last year. I was so close with my dad, and to think that he's gone forever just kills me inside. To live with all the pain is so bad. My brother is still alive, but he will never be the same again, that's why I hate the word different.

His name is Jayden, on the night when the car crashed, he took in severe brain damage. Now he can't do anything on his own; He can't eat without help, can't drink without the help, can't even go to the toilet without the extra assistance. I can see the pain in my mums beautiful hazel eyes, I know she always puts the biggest smile on her face to reassure me that she's okay, but in reality, she's not. She misses her husband, and she wants her athletic, straight A student son back. I want my dad and my older brother back. Jayden had so much potential, he was supposed to go into his last year of high school. He was the athletic type, the one who played on the schools football team, and the one who wanted to lead his school house with pride. He was also really academic to, I remember the times where I would come home from school and he would help me with my homework, in maths mostly, that's the area I struggle in. I guess that's how we became so close. He was also really attractive too, the one with the biggest biceps and abs. But now it's different, now he can't even talk properly and sometimes I question if he recognizes me anymore. Sometimes he gives us a sign that he does, like once when I was sitting down next to him on a cold winters night, he moved his hand in a struggle and placed it on top of mine. I could read Jayden like an open book. He looked at me, his blue eyes wide open, he mumbled something. I couldn't quite make it out at first but then I got it the second time around. Jayden told me that he loved me, and that 'it'll be alright'. I was in tears in that stage, the pain travels with me where ever I go. I sometimes wonder to myself, why did it have to be him out of all people? Why does God have to punish the good people and not the criminals and bad people that walk upon this planet. I just don't get it. So now different scares me whenever I hear it.

I finished getting dressed into my new uniform. It wasn't as bad as my primary school one which was a good thing. I fixed my hair and put it in its usual side ponytail, and went to the kitchen to grab my on-the-go breakfast. I looked at the time on the clock and realised I was now officially running late. I gave Jayden a kiss on the forehead and waved good-bye to his helper. I rushed out of the house meeting mum in the car.

We were on the road, my school was close by so it was okay, but time goes by fast when you're in a rush. I got annoyed because my mum was going unusually slow.

"Mum, for the love of god go faster!" I shouted at her.

"No" she gave me a short answer.

"Why not?!" I asked her getting frustrated.

"Because the mistake your father made" she burst into tears. My mum was not going to be the same again, it must be so hard losing your life-long partner, I wouldn't know but, I've never had a boyfriend, and have never been kissed before. My mum had been with my dad for 20 years, that's such a long time to spend with your true love and to lose the other half would be torture. Mum pulled over and I gave her a big hug. She made me cry to.

"It's going to be alright mum, I promise." I told her through sniffs. We were there for 5 minutes longer, until she had the courage to start the car again. When she did we drove off into the gates of my new school, I gave her a big kiss on the cheek and gave her a hug. "Have a great day sweetie" she called out to me.

"I will mum" I reassured her.