CHAPTER 13 - THOSE DEAR TO US

Within the many hours of the night, the drowsiness welcomed as the excitement of the forestry dulled

"What do you suggest, Stack? I'm fine with these two sleeping on the floor or with the guardians. It's been getting colder these past few nights— I'm sure they'd love a blanket or two." Ame narrowed her eyes at both Glacia and Penula as her words burrow into the room.

Even after Glacia and I somewhat reconciled, she didn't welcome them. They were considered intruders.

"Now wait for just a second! We're—" Glacia muffled Penula's mouth as he exited the room to give us some privacy.

"Sorry about that. We'll go outside on the porch while yeh two talk. Let's go, Pen!" Glacia laughed in a not so comfortable manner as he closed the door on his way out. A gathered amount of dust wafted in the entrance, leaving no sound or any sight to see. I sighed as I sat on the chair, facing the hearth in the living room.

"Ame, they can sleep in the extra room. Still, I seem to recall being an intruder like them once." A raising brow procured as I tried persuading the woman I now see as a Mother. She turned her back towards me and peered out the window. I could only guess what thoughts went through her head as she tapped her sandals on the wooden flooring.

"You're not like them!" She all but raised her hands on the window as starlights shimmered and surrounded it. The glow resonated, the night darkened, and the sprites danced outside in our silence. Ame looked as mad and worried as ever, but nothing could dull out the beauty of her age away.

"I'm not sure, Ame. I came here on a mission. A lie, and almost got eaten by the mutt." Caruta huffed at me as I smirked back. "However, I too learned to love this place as my home, and you as a family." The vase flowers atop of the hearth wilted as her back looked every bit as lonely as the first time I met her. There was happiness, but sadness kept a shadow at her feet.

Caruta bumped on my leg with his snout and growled in protest, "yes, you too fuzzball," I scratched his neck and ears as he jolted his paws and purred like a roaring drum. Did he become a part cat in the last few moments in the forestry without my knowing? I snorted and ruffled his head.

"Stack, you're more than that. You were never an intruder. To me, you're—" Ame paused longer than usual. An overwhelming number of expressions on her face changed from love to anger to sadness all in one moment.

I chose to ignore my curiosity and held her hand in mine.

"Ame, it's going to be fine. I know you're not comfortable, but Glacia means no harm." I hoped for our sake. Ame sat in front of me, combing her fingers through my hair. I lowered my head, resting it on her shoulder for a second in her care.

"I'm not afraid of him harming us, Stack. But I'm afraid of him bringing back memories and a past you struggle to breathe through every night. You've gotten better since the night Caruta and I found you. But nothing can dissolve the torment, pain, and sadness you keep in here and here." She placed her hand over my heart and pressed a finger to my mind. Then she drew closer and kissed my brows and forehead, leaving a subtle warmth on my skin.

The scent of peppermint and nature permeated as her strands touched the edges of my face. I took a shuddering breath, about to assure her that all wounds healed, even if they scab until I heard yelling from outside.

"What are they arguing about now? Perhaps, I should have the guardians bite off their tongues!" I pinched the bridge of my nose at Ame's detest for unwelcome guests.

"I'll check them out. Be right back." Before she could stop me from checking what's wrong, I nodded my head at the mutt to distract her.

"Stack! Wait! Caruta, let me! Stack!" Ame yelled my name, but her voice silenced as I closed the door behind me.

The loud yells of Glacia and Penula came from the edge of the lake of spirit fish— I calmly stepped closer for a better view.

"Glacia, this wasn't the plan! You said, rescue the slave, and take him somewhere safe. Then the job was done!" I slit my vision down for a second at the word slave as Penula, whispered yelled to Glacia. He faced his back to her, hands curled as fists, and his pursed lips showed no trace of emotion.

"Glacia!" Penula continued to force words out of Glacia. What do they mean by rescuing me? Take me to safety? I'm perfectly safe here with my family. I drew closer in a high bush for better hearing.

Glacia sighed heavily and said, "I know Pen. I know this wasn't supposed to be how it went out. You and I risked our lives to come here, but I needed to know if he was alive. That— merchant sent him to his death. I was supposed to have protected him, but I failed again." His voice grew ever lower with sadness. Why would he protect me, and again for that matter?

"Come on! It wasn't—" I cut Penula off as I walked over to Glacia.

"Stack! Yeh? Were yeh listening all this time?" Glacia looked scared. Ever since I've known him, he never showed fear.

"I heard. And— it's not your fault. You couldn't have protected me from the Masters. No one could." My voice grew cold as the memories spilled over. Each time, no hero came— heroes didn't live in the gloom. I glimpsed at his face and smiled. He shook, wide-eyed as tears tore through his face. I glimpsed at his face and smiled.

"Glacia, it was never your fault. Stop blaming yourself." I lifted my hand and pressed it on his shoulder. He placed his hand on mine and shook his head.

"I'm going to go back inside. You two have a lot of catching up. I wonder what the witch can brew. I'm hungry like that beast, what was his name? Carrot, or was it Carcass?" Penula left in a rush, mumbling the wrong names of the mutt.

"Sit." I indicated as I sat on the ground, facing the lake. Glacia took his time but finally sat next to me.

"Yeh need to know, Stack. Everything. Yeh might not look and care for me the same." I slowly turned my eyes to his, brows furrowed, but a smile still on my face.

"We'll see. For now, talk." I wrapped my arm around his shoulder as I waited for the story in the night.

The sprites danced, a song of dreams and life waved in the forestry as nature stayed awake and spirits slept peacefully.