Day Twenty-Eight

Day Twenty-Eight: Free Day #1

Set in my Corona Life AU, five years after Corona High takes place.

"Cassandra?"

Varian's voice startled Cass, who was sitting cross-legged on the floor underneath the bathroom sink, frowning as she studied whatever was on her tablet's screen. She jumped a little, thankfully managing to not drop the tablet, but still knocking her head on the wall behind her nonetheless.

"My gosh, Cassie," he chided her with a smirk, "are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," she said, grinning, "you just took me by surprise, is all."

He knelt down a little, crawling under the sink so that he could sit next to her. When he did this, Cass shut the tablet off, kind of leaning over to rest her head on his shoulder.

"You know, you're home early."

He took her hand in his, running his thumb absentmindedly over the back of it. "Apparently, today was a testing day for the juniors, so nobody else was needed."

"And whose fault was it that you went anyways?"

He grinned sheepishly and shrugged, letting out an awkward chuckle as his cheeks stained pink. Cass laughed a little, too, shaking her head in mock disbelief.

"You fell for the same trick for the third time, didn't you?"

Varian nodded his head. "Yeah... Craig and Jonah are good at that one."

"Fool you once, shame on them," Cass began to recite, "fool you twice, shame on you. But fool you three times..."

Varian's expression quickly grew into an extremely smug smirk. "Fool me thrice, shame on you."

"Me?!" Cassandra's voice went up about three octaves in her disbelief, "why me?!"

"Only 'cause you're supposed to be the sensible one in this marriage, the one who's supposed to keep the other one-- me-- from doing something stupid."

Cassandra sighed in exasperation. "Fine. Fool you once, shame on them. Fool you twice, shame on you. Fool you thrice, shame on me."

Varian's grin was bright and triumphant. "That's the spirit, Cassie!"