Day Twenty-Six

Day Twenty-Six: Playing a Prank Together or On Each Other

The sound of an explosion didn't surprise Cassandra anymore. She knew that her husband was prone to more... Volatile experiments, and she had slowly gotten used to the sounds of accidental destruction.

What surprised her was the sudden silence that came after. Usually Varian would call out, letting her know that he was okay.

But now... Nothing.

"Varian?"

Cass stood up slowly, unsurely. When the silence remained, she began to panic.

She ran into Varian's lab, throwing the door open. She was greeted with bright pink goop everywhere, and Ruddiger... But no Varian.

"What in the worl--?"

Before the last part of that sentence left her mouth, she felt a pair of hands wrap around her waist from behind.

Her immediate response? Turn around and slap him. Hard.

"Okay... Ow."

Varian withdrew his hands, checking to ensure that he wasn't bleeding or anything from the impact.

Cass crossed her arms over her chest. "What the heck was that for?!"

Varian grinned, but that died almost as soon as he saw the look on her face. "... Sorry?"

"You should be!" she scolded him, "that was not okay, Var! You... You scared me."

Varian's gaze softened as he realized just what he had done to his wife. He had nearly given her a heart attack, just so he could try and get her good like she often did to him.

"Cassie... I'm so..."

He was interrupted by Cass, who threw her arms around him. "Don't you ever do that again, okay? I... I thought I'd lost you."

Varian wrapped his arms around her in response. "Of course, Cassie. I'm sorry."

"I love you, Varian."

He gently kissed the top of her head. "Love you too, Cassie."