Final chapter | Leo

Final chapter | Leo

Three months left

Lou was the first to notice that Leo was lonely. They talked to him-all of them-but the level of interaction didn't match, like something they couldn't fulfill. Lou had been able to catch that only because he felt lonely himself.

"I think he's gonna like the idea of a brother."

Lou glanced over his shoulder at Dom. He nodded. They were gathered like ladies desperate for gossip at the threshold, peeking in on Leo as he sat in the playroom, trying to get stuffed animals to talk because in his world, everything needed to go his way. Except it didn't, which was just as disappointing for Leo as it was for Lou (and Aaron).

"I just hope he can understand what a brother means," Lou said.

"I think he'll get it. We're an example for him and we live with him. If he got the difference between Cara and I and you and I, he should be able understand what Aaron is to him."

Once again, Lou nodded. Not much negotiation went on anymore. Speak and nod. Say and do. Standard. Dom squeezed in through the space between Lou and the door and slipped inside.

The pacifier in Leo's mouth bobbed frantically against his lips as he stared at a stuffed penguin. He pushed it away, watching it roll on the rug. A soft whine rumbled in his throat but the pacifier muffled its resonance.

Dom stood behind Leo, hooked an arm around his torso then lifted him off the floor. He walked back with him to the beanbag and carefully plopped down, keeping him on his lap, one hand forcing his legs to dangle down one side.

"I'm sorry, baby. But we have to talk." Dom absently traced Leo's bare knee while trying to click some sort of eye-contact with him. He curled a finger beneath his chin and forced his face up. "Look here, yeah?"

Leo nodded, but he quickly lowered his lashes. Usually, he'd stare. This time he wasn't in the mood, Dom could tell.

"You know how Lou and I are brothers?" Dom noticed Lou and Cara come just as he spoke, and he glanced at them for a split-second before redirecting his focus on Leo. "We have the same mom and dad. And we grew up together. We're brothers. We told you, remember?"

Leo nodded again, but Dom wasn't satisfied. He tried pulling the pacifier out but Leo made a disgruntled noise, flinching, then quickly caught it and pressed it protectively against his lips.

Lou had crouched down beside the beanbag and leant an elbow on the mini-table. "Great. He's cranky today."

"It'll be fine," Cara said, one hand brushing Leo's bang off his forehead. "Would you want a brother too, baby? Another boy, beautiful just like you-" she smiled and tickled his side, "-and he has pretty eyes like yours. Wanna see him?"

Leo had let out a short pitched laugh and moved closer to Dom's chest. He looked at Cara, pacifier bobbing slow. Too slow. Rhythm of apprehension. Brother. He blinked. He didn't notice that his pacifier finally slipped, but when he did, he brought a finger up to his mouth and bit it.

Cara looked at Lou. "Show him the picture."

Lou fiddled with Dom's phone for a second and then brought it up with a close up on Aaron's face (frowning, as always). He held it down for Leo to see.