Chapter 22 | Aaron

this is the last time you read about Aaron!

Chapter 22 | Aaron

The music in the ballroom bursted out of the speakers but impossibly, it felt like it was thumping inside Aaron's skull. Parties weren't his thing, yet here he was, stuck in a school party, dreading every second.

Right now, it was better if no one talked to him because any moment and he'd burst, in the minimal way at least. He'd wanted to spend his sixteenth birthday in bed. Sleeping. And maybe eating. But God forbid that something ever went his way.

Someone bumped into his side for the millionth time since he'd arrived and at this point, he was ready to fight. Teeth clenched, he turned his neck stiffly aside whilst keeping a palm disinterestedly along his cheek. Erika stood beside him.

"Such a party animal. How come you're here?"

"Either this or family gathering and some shit with dad." Aaron faced forward again. She knew better than anyone that he was quite an asshole when he was grumpy but she looked ready to challenge him. Not the right time. Aaron didn't say anything else.

Erika watched the way he was leaning against the tall cocktail table in front of him. Her eyes followed the outward curve of his spine. He never seemed to give a shit about posture yet he nagged about back pain. She didn't understand him.

"So it's clear you're not enjoying this. Wanna sneak out?"

Aaron frowned. He gave her a quick look. Pretty makeup and pretty dress. Worthy of a party. Why would she want to waste that? "Don't worry about me. Go ahead, have fun."

"Nah, I won't have fun with you here upset like this."

"I swear it's fine. I don't mind—"

"You don't get it. I need to talk to you about something. Let's go out."

Aaron's heart unwillingly skipped a beat. There was something about these types of preambles that gave him anxiety. He sighed and said, "That doesn't make my stress levels hit rooftop."

Erika needed to talk to him about the scars she saw. It wouldn't end well, she knew, but she couldn't lie to him. "Nothing serious." Ironically, she just lied to him again. "Come with me."

Aaron left the cup he'd been holding and followed her across the cluster of teens to the large doors of the ballroom. Quickly, she opened it just enough to slip through. Aaron followed her to the foyer.

Outside, the music became distant but the ache in Aaron's ears persisted. He wouldn't be surprised if they were bleeding. His face scrunched.

Erika gave him a worried glance. "Something wrong?"

"No. I just hate loud music."

"It makes your head hurt like crying does... ?"

Aaron froze, then looked at her. The pitch of her voice seemed implicating to something. He ignored it and bounded down the staircase to the entrance.

They stepped outside and meandered across the gravel lining the side of the road until they made it to a nearby park. At night, it seemed abandoned. The sound of leaves rustling and rats darting along almost resembled the sound of footsteps following them.

They settled on a bench. Aaron had been tempted to scream at her just tell me already! But he knew he was just grumpy because it'd been a horrible day and she didn't deserve the outburst.

The silence was suffocatingly thick. Erika cleared her throat. "How's your ankle doing?"

Aaron subconsciously looked down at it. "Better."