Chapter 5 | Leo

Dedicated to the talented KentuckyPriedChicken for blessing me with the amazing fanart  above^ I screamed when I saw it, love the detail! I appreciate your devotion so much <3

Chapter 5 | Leo

Leo's babysitter had known there was something wrong the moment Jayden paid her extra, years ago.

  She'd seen the sly look in his eyes and the implication in the smirk on his lips. She'd understood that she might have to be tad secretive about the entire thing but she'd gone along because she needed the money. He was just a normal man who'd moved into town and didn't want people spreading news about his newborn. How drastic can it be, she'd thought as her eyes had lingered thirstily at the stacks of green.

  She was stupid because it turned out more than drastic. Horrific. Insane. She should've known that he wouldn't let her leave after that. That she'd be stuck. Maybe if she had she would've prevented an innocent soul from enduring the conviction of a heartbroken lover and the silent injustice of the world

Her regrets were cut off when a small finger tapped her arm demandingly. She looked down at Leo.

"Tell me more?"

  Five-year-old Leo was already a surprisingly beauteous boy who unfortunately hadn't seen more than the four walls he lived between and the far lush greenery through the splotchy glass window. Dirty brown hair that glowed sweet caramel under the choppy fluorescent lights and large blue eyes that twinkled obliviously of the tragedy he was caught in; he could have been an angel from the skies above, stolen and trapped by the devil and his allies.

She smiled. "Her name was Elizabeth," she continued talking to him about his mom. She always tried to engage with him in conversation. "That's what your dad says. But she's dead." Her eyes caught upon the knots in his hair and a certain gloom enveloped her heart. He didn't deserve this.

Leo frowned. "What-"

Jayden stepped into the basement, silent and sly. He watched Amy--the babysitter whom he'd easily lured further into the game with money fluttering down a string--make a pathetic attempt to brush Leo's knotty messy hair with nothing more than her bare fingers because that was all she had.

"What're you exactly doing, Amy?" He questioned as he moved closer with his hands clasped menacingly behind his back. Amy gasped inwardly, quickly pulling her hands out of Leo's hair and staring at Jayden nervously instead. "I saw you, silly boo."

"I just- I was trying to brush his hair. It's too knotty, y-y'know?"

"Oh, yes, I definitely know. And if I wanted you to brush it for him, I think I would've told you, right?"

Amy let her eyes drop to the floor. "I know. I'm sorry."

  Jayden stared at Leo, long and scrutinizing. "If he can kill, I'm sure he can brush his hair on his own." The spite in his voice was poisonous. Leo finally looked up. Kill. The sound of the word wedged like a knife deep in his chest. He'd heard it too much. Jayden snorted at the clueless expression on his son's face, then waved his hand carelessly towards the door. "Leave, Amy."

  Amy knew there was no negotiation when it came to his command and she hated that she'd led herself down to this road on her own. If only she'd thrown the money in his face and turned away from this entire sick game when Leo had still been just a baby. But now she was a part of it, the cheapest one, the pawn in a despicable game of chess that splayed out with all its excruciating weight on Leo's back.