"Is something the matter?" Harald said, looking down at me with a teasing smirk.

I flushed. "N-Not at all." It was a completely natural reaction under the circumstances and nothing to worry about. My brain was in control, not my body. I took a deep breath and focused on Bolt. I brought Harald's hand up to his eye level and then placed it on his snout. I let my hand linger on his for a moment before withdrawing it and stepping back so I could breath properly.

"That's a good dragon," Harald murmured. He moved his hand up Bolt's face and then down his neck.

My hostility towards Harald momentarily transformed into something else entirely: curiosity. There was something different about him now. His gaze was relaxed, and there was, for once, a genuine smile on his face. And my Skrill brought that out? That was not what I had wanted. And yet, I found it utterly fascinating. Clearly there was more to Harald than what met the eye, and I had an irresistible urge to dig deeper.

"Wow, I'm impressed, Harald," Hiccup said. "I shouldn't have worried. Bolt has really taken to you."

Harald pulled his hand back and looked at him with a smirk. "You should have had faith in me, Hiccup, and not have put all the pressure on poor Brennda."

I rolled my eyes. And now we were back to this. I started for Bolt. "He should let you ride him now."

"Be careful," Hiccup warned.

"But have fun," Astrid said with her own smirk.

I climbed into Bolt's saddle when he lowered himself to the ground for me. I glanced back at Harald, who seemed uncertain once again. "Climb on behind me." I scooted forward so there would be enough room for him to sit comfortably. I sucked in a sharp breath when I felt his chest press right up against my back. Then his arms wrapped around my waist. Obviously, I had not thought this through. Then again, I did not expect to have this type of reaction from him.

"Are you alright?" he said softly, his breath tickling my cheek and sending a shiver down my spine.

"Y-Yeah. I just-" I took a deep breath. "Would you believe me if I said this was the first time Bolt and I have had a passenger?"

"Oh? Does it trouble you?"

I wracked my brain for a reasonable explanation. I definitely could not tell him the truth. Thor knew he would forever hold it against me. "It's a bit odd. It goes against my natural instinct to let someone so close to me when I can't keep an eye on them." Surviving on Berkserer Island had taught me how to be properly paranoid. I always had to watch my back.

"That is quite understandable. But, Brennda, I will tell you the same thing I told your dragon. I mean you no harm."

I tilted my head and got caught in his gaze. He still had that smirk on his face, but his eyes... Something in his eyes told me he spoke the truth. I swallowed hard. "Alright then. And I can assure you, as long as that is true, Bolt and I will protect you from any threat."

"Thank you. I am honored." Something I did not recognize sparked in his eyes.

I cleared my throat. "Let's be off." I tore my gaze away and took a moment to still my racing heart. What was wrong with me today?

***

Bolt showed off all of his best qualities, including his speed. I was pleased to find that the ride made Harald nervous at first. However, he soon got into it and praised my dragon and me. We slowed down a bit so I could actually point out notable landmarks on the island.

We had almost returned to the base when Hookfang and Snotlout blocked our path. "Hey Brennda, Harald," Snotlout said. "Care for a dome race?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Now?"