Nineteen

A.N. This is a sad chapter.

Dianne's POV

Week one of the honeymoon complete. One week to go.

This week has been incredible, so relaxed and chilled.

I awoke early to watch the sunrise from our bedroom window when I feel strong, musculer arms wrap themselves around my waist. Joe's lips finding their way to my shoulder blade, and kissing it.
"Whatcha doing out here at this time of the morning?" He asks.
"I got up to watch the sunrise and didn't want to wake you, as you looked so peaceful." I reply.
"Aww you cute little bean," He grins. "But you could have woken me."
"You're here now." I reply as we watch the sunrise together.

We'd been sat outside for an hour, just relaxing and watching the world go by. It was so peaceful and quiet here. I didnt want to leave.
"Seems as we're both awake, how about we grab some breakfast?" I nod as we head back inside.

I'd had my shower and gotten changed, when I go to check my phone. Seeing about 10 missed calls from my brother Andrew and about 5 messages from Zoe. Shit. "Joe. Have you had any missed cal-" I stop as I hear Joe talking. His eyes filled with tears. No. No. No.

He puts the phone down, his hands shaking. "Joe?" I ask, not daring to look at his face.
He sighs before speaking. "We need to go home."
"W-why?" I stutter.
"That was Zoe on the phone, erm," He pauses. "Your parents and Flynn have been in an accident."
No. This is not happening.
"A-are they OK?" I dared to ask.
"Well," He starts. "Flynn and Mark are fine. Your Mum is in a coma."
Those words hit me. Like a ton of bricks. I break down in Joe's arms, he wraps his arms around me. And rocks me back and forth, as I'm in between his legs. I just cry. This is not real, it can't be.

"I'm so sorry, Little One," He coos, playing with my hair. "I'll book us the first flight back, OK?" I just nod. Numbness taking over.

. . .

After an agonising 18 hour flight, we'd arrived back in the UK and headed straight to the hospital. 

Zoe had told us what ward they were on, and the room number. So, heading through I see Zoe holding a sleepy Flynn.

''Di, I'm so sorry.'' Zoe comforts, Joe taking Flynn from Zoe's arms as she hugs me.

''Do you know what happened?'' 

''There was a fire at theirs, no idea how it started. Your Dad managed to get Flynn out first, unstathed. But he couldn't get back in time for Rina. He's a wreck, Di, he's blaming himself.''

''How is Mum?'' I ask.

''She's not good, Di. Not good at all.'' 

''Could she, could she die?'' I ask.

''It's possible.'' My knees give way, as Joe manages to catch me. Zoe taking Flynn, Joe sits on the floor with me in his arms, rocking me back and forth.

''I.... Can't... Lose...Her... Joe.'' I say through tears.

''Hey, hey, shh,'' He rubs my back. ''She's a fighter.''

''Dotty?'' I lift my head to see my Dad. Removing myself from Joe's arms, I run to him as I hug him and cry. ''I'm so sorry.''

''No, Dad, this is not your fault, OK? You saved Flynn first which I know Mum would want you to do. Its not your fault the fire got bigger, alright? Do not blame yourself.''

''But I should of gone back for her.''

''No, Dad. I told you. You tried to go back for her, it was too dangerous. Please don't beat yourself up, OK? Mum wouldn't want you to.''