Six

Joe's POV

I stare at Dianne's text. I'm gone!

What does that mean?

Shit, I hope she hasn't done anything bad.

Yes we fell out, but she's still my best friend. I care about her. I've fallen for her. Hard.

What she said hurt me, more than I thought it would. But did I really need to be a relationship with Alice for the baby to be loved? No. I want Dot. No one else. Her.

I need to find her.

''Joey?'' I roll my eyes at Alice's high pitched voice. I sigh as I make my way into the bedroom.

''Yes?'' I ask.

''I need chocolate. Can you go the shop and get me some please? I'm tired, but baby is wanting chocolate.'' 

''Fine. OK . You have a nap and I'll go get you some, I'll be back later.'' I say, perfect excuse to see Dianne.

She nods, before pouting her lips. ''Kiss?''  I roll my eyes, planting a peck on her lips. But it didn't feel right. I wanted to kiss Dianne, not Alice.

. . .

I unlock the door to Dianne's flat, expecting it to be quiet. I was right. I walk in to see her curled up on the sofa, with a blanket around her. She looked in pain, she was frowning.

My heart was breaking. I need to tell her how much she means to me. Sod Alice, I need Dianne. I want her.

''Di?'' I shake her awake gently.

She stirs, opening one eye. ''Joe?'' She sits up. ''What are you doing here?''

''I got your text Di, I needed to make sure you didn't do anything stupid. Why did you text me that?'' I ask.

''Because honestly? I was going to end my life. But I chickened out. I realised that there's more to life. But I thought you hated me.'' She cries.

My heart was hurting. ''Dot, I'd never hate you. As much as we fall out, you'll always be my best friend. That will never change. Di,'' I pause. ''I don't want to be with Alice. I want to be with you. I don't love her. I love y-''

''Stop. Joe, please don't say that unless you mean it.'' She shakes her head.

''I do mean it. Di, I love you. I am in love with you.'' I knew that now. I was more clear than ever.

With tears in her eyes, she speaks. ''You do?'' I nod. ''I love you too. So much. It kills me knowing I can't be with you, that I can't have you.''

''Who says you can't?'' I ask.

''Joe, come on. You're marrying Alice, and she's carrying your baby. Surely it can't work?'' 

''And why not? Di, you can't give up on us, before we've even begun. This baby will be loved whether I'm with Alice. I  can't stay with her. I can't. I want to be with, Dot. You're who I want, not her.'' I admit.

''It won't be easy. I won't lie. It'll be hard for me with this baby. But I love you, and I want to be with you. If we do this, can you promise me something?''

''Anything.'' I smile.

''If we don't work out, it won't ruin our friendship?'' 

''I promise. It won't. You'll always be my best friend.'' I raise my pinky, she smiles, as we pinky promise.

''How are you going to tell Alice?'' She asks.

''I'm just going to be honest, and hope for the best.'' I admit, a nervous chuckle.

''I'll come with you.'' I nod as we head to mine. 

. . .

Alice's POV

This fake pregnancy has really been thought through.

I know in around 3/4 months I'll start to show and I know you're all thinking, how will you pull this off?

Easy, fake baby belly. My friend is a midwife so they're going to help me with this plan. I know she can probably get fired if I get found out, but it's worth it. I'll marry Joe before my due date then tell him I've miscarried. Easy.

The key in the lock makes me jump. I sit on the sofa with my blanket, as I see Joe come in with... The hell? 

''Alice, can I talk to you?'' He asks nervously.

''Sure?'' I reply raising an eyebrow.

He sighs, sitting on the sofa next to me. ''Alice, I can't do this,'' He sighs. ''I can't marry you. Look, I'll support you 100% with the baby. You know that. But I can't live a lie Alice, it's not fair on you.

I'm in love with Dianne, and we want to make this work. But we can't without your blessing. Please, Alice.'' He finishes.

Fuck sake, Joe, that hit me. I can't stop him for being with the person he loves, I can't. But I really wanted to have a baby with him. I sigh, running a finger through my hair. Just a little longer Alice, you can keep this lie up.

''Joe, I can't stop you from being with the one you love, I can't. So you have my blessing. But, promise me, you won't abandon this baby when its born.'' I say.

''Alice I can promise you that now, that Joe will be there every step of the way, and so will I, if you want me to?'' Why is Dianne so nice? Just a little longer, Alice. I repeat.

''Thanks Dianne. If you're OK with Joe being a Dad to someone else's baby, then I'd love your support too,'' I take my ring off, and place it in Joe's hand. ''Here, give this to the one you love, or sell it. But it doesn't belong on my finger,'' I pause. ''We had a good run. Look after her, yeah?'' 

''Of course. Thanks Alice.'' He smiles. Damn it. 

''Ask her then.'' I giggle.

He chuckles. ''Dianne Buswell, will you be my girlfriend?'' 

She smiles, looking at me. I nod. ''Yes Joe, I will.''

I sigh. This fake pregnancy will bite me in the arse. But I'm too far in to stop it now.