Eight

Dianne's POV

"Dotty are you ready?" Joe calls from downstairs. 

We were off on holiday with Zoe, Alfie and their little boy Ben today. Joe and I have been together eight months.

I head downstairs as we make our way to Chewton Glen.

. . .

''Uncle Joe.'' Ben shouts running up to Joe. He picks him up, and throws him in the air. I couldn't help the smile that was forming on my face. Joe is smitten with Ben, and so good with kids.

''You're getting too big for me now, bud. I'm pooped.'' He chuckles.

''Nah you're just getting old.'' I giggle.

''Hey, rude.'' Joe pouts, as he chases me around the field.

''Alright, alright, I surrender.'' I giggle.

He puts me down, wrapping his arms around me. ''Cute.'' Zoe says.

''Oh shush.'' Joe chuckles.

''Uncle Joe, push me.'' He jumps towards the swing, at the park we'd arrived at. Joe helps him into it, as he pushes him. My heart.

''Natural, ey?'' Zoe comes over and stands next to me.

''He really is.'' I smile.

''I don't want to push you but,'' She pauses, as I furrow a brow. ''when are you and Joe having one?'' 

''Zoe!'' I giggle. ''We've only been together eight months.''

''Yes, but you've known each other years.'' She giggles.

''That may be so, but still, I'm not ready.'' I lie. Truth be told, I'd love a baby. But we've only been together eight months, but we're not getting any younger.

But we've got Ben for now. We can babysit him whenever, and give him back the end of the day.

. . .

''Auntie Dot,'' Ben runs over to me. We had arrived back to the Treehouses about an hour ago.

''Hey, sweetheart.'' I smile.

''Me up?'' I pick him up and place him on my knee.

He snuggles into me as we watch a film. I see Joe out the corner of my eye, smiling away at me.

Maybe I should speak to him?

The next day

Joe and myself were having a date just us, as Zoe, Alfie and Ben had a family day out.

I change into,

before making my way to Joe

''Hey beautiful, you ready to go?'' I smile, as he intertwines our fingers and we head out.

We had now arrived at the beach, and Joe had become really quiet.

I was a little worried, but I put it to the back of my mind.

''Dotty,'' He turns to face me with a nervous tone to his voice. ''We've been best friends for almost twenty eight years. Our whole lives,

And I never thought in a million years I'd end up falling in love with my best friend. But I'm so glad I did,

We know each other inside and out. You know me better than I know myself, and vice versa. We've seem both at our best and worst and highs and lows,

You make me want to be a better person. I never believed in finding a soul mate, someone who I'd want to spend every waking hour with. Someone who I could not stop thinking about and be committed to that one sole person, for the rest of my life. Until I fell in love with you, Dotty,

You know I'd do absolutely anything for you, and I mean anything.

You're my dream girl, Dotty. You're the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. I want you, if you want to, to carry my children. I want to prove to you how much of a loving and devoted Dad I will be,

You're my person, Dotty,'' He pauses, slowly getting down on one knee. By this point, I was full on crying.

''I know a lot of people will think it's rushed and too early, but I know in my heart this is right,'' He takes a deep breath as he continues.

''Turn around, Di,'' I turn around to see,

''Dianne Claire Buswell, will you do me the honours of making me the happiest man alive, and marry me?'' I was sobbing, I couldn't speak

Instead I nod, my face full to the brim with a smile. He stands up and spins me round, shakily placing the ring on my finger.

 He stands up and spins me round, shakily placing the ring on my finger

It was simple but elegant. Just how I like it.

''Turn around, Di.'' He repeats. I turn around to see my whole family, plus Joe's come out of hiding.

''Dotty.'' My mum cries, pulling me in for a hug.

''I'm so proud of you.'' My dad smiles, hugging me then Joe. ''And Joe, son, thank you for asking for my permission.'' 

''My pleasure.'' Joe smiles.

. . .

''It's perfect.'' I gush, looking at me ring once we get back.

''You sure? I can change it?'' He asks.

''No, it's perfect. Honestly.'' I smile.

''I'm glad. I was so nervous.'' He chuckles.

''Why?'' 

''I guess I thought you'd say no.''

''Aww you're so cute. Of course I'd say yes.'' I beam. The luckiest girl in the world. ''I love you.''

''I love you, too Mrs Sugg to be.'' He winks.