Chapter One - Zefron (Part One)

Zefron

March 2, 1996

"You're up, Tajahnѐ!"  Taj tied back her dark curly hair as she prepared for the track in front of her. She bounced on the balls of her feet and took off at lightening speed to the obstacle course before her. As the first concrete flying saucer came towards her she reached for the gun in her back and shot it down.

She tried to ignore her unusually upbeat sister behind her cheering her on as if it was a contest instead of a serious warrior training session. Concentrating on the track ahead she leaped over walls and dodged every other obstacle flying at her that she couldn't shoot, all while keeping her speed between fifty and fifty-five km/h.

Tajahnѐ glanced at her trainer, Susan Sector, standing on a pedestal overlooking the training field as she barked orders and insults at her.

"Push it lady! My great grandmother in her grave could whip your butt!"

Sector's hands danced in front of her as if she was directing a symphony as she manipulated the elements to add more obstacles to the course. As top warrior and current leader of the Warrior Clan, manipulating the elements was a piece of cake for her. She stood high off the ground and waved her hands around to create dust tornadoes and sent dozens of concrete saucers flying towards Tajahnѐ.

Taj cursed as she saw what Sector was doing and pushed all the harder to shoot down the saucers before they went slamming into her face. She smiled slightly as she saw the checkered flag signalling the finish line. She raced towards it, falling, rolling and sliding away from more targets as they came with full force towards her. She had almost reached the flag when out of nowhere came a piece of a tree trunk. It hit her right in the stomach and she skidded and smashed into the concrete wall she'd left behind. 

She could almost see the smirk printed on Sector's face through the stars swimming around her head.

"Always be prepared for the unexpected!" Sector shouted.

Taj growled at her, not caring if she would be punished for it afterward and walked back to where her sister and other training mates waited.

"I hate that woman." She said as soon as she reached her.

"Taj, don't say that out loud." Xenna hushed.

"What? I do. And I know you hate her just as much as I do." Taj countered.

"Well I'm just trying not to get us in trouble. You know we could get in so much trouble just for saying something like that about somebody in authority."

"Yeah, I know. I miss Mr. Fillion." Taj said, referring to her old trainer.

"Me too Taj, but he shouldn't have done what he did or he'd still be alive." Xenna touched her sister's arm to try and comfort her.

"Done what Xenna? Stood up for what he believed in? Zefron has all these rules and we just follow them blindly, never asking why. 'Do not disrespect a superior clan or clan member or you'll be punished.' 'Do not cohabit with members outside your clan or you'll be killed.' Blah blah blah. "

"Shh Taj. Let it go, there's nothing we can do about it now." Xenna rubbed her hand up her sister's arm, secretly praying no one overheard their conversation.

"I want to go to the shooting range and pretend Sector's a target. You coming?" Taj said after a moment.

"I have school work to do."

 "Xenna it's Saturday. You can do your school work later, come on."

Tajahnѐ positioned herself for shooting stance with the 9mm aimed at the target before her. The gun was loaded with silver bullets that were set to explode once they heated up to body temperature. She aimed and fired until the clip was empty, all the while envisioning Sector's head exploding in front of her.