Earth: Chapter Five

I sat up in my bed and watched the sun rise. It was so peaceful, and I needed the comfort. I had not slept at all during the night. I was worried that I had put myself and Aunt Taj in danger. And even more concerned about what she had asked me to do. Though I did not particularly find Andrew's personality appealing, it still felt wrong to use somebody that way. "We are just keeping our enemies a little closer." Taj had put it.

When looking at the reality of things, I couldn't trust anyone around me, because everyone around me was human. If I had known the truth from the beginning my choices might have been different. I understood then that she was trying to protect me all along. She had sacrificed so much for me – breaking laws by saving me from a certain death penalty for something as minor as being born, and now I have paid her back by exposing the truth. Whether I'd exposed it to one teenage boy who happened to look in the wrong direction at the wrong time, or an entire country or planet, I had still exposed myself and therefore I had exposed her. How would I undo something that could not be undone? The only solution that plagued my mind all night was Taj's solution. Friends close; enemies closer. And though he may appear harmless for the moment Andrew was just that – an enemy.

I did not see Aunt Taj that morning. I found a note on the fridge that said she had some work to catch up on from the Wednesday before when we had our training session. She wished me a good day and begged me to be careful when I went out today. Thankfully I did not have to go out until seven, so I could happily stay cooped up in my living room until it was time go.

Lauren wanted to have a "fun day" where we would all get together and show Andrew a good time. Initially, I would have passed on it but Taj's plan just bumped befriending Andrew high on my list of priorities.

I sat in the couch facing the TV and started flipping through channels while chewing on some gummy bears. Finding something interesting to watch on TV was a task when it was that early. I was still in my pyjamas – a grey top with spaghetti straps and sweat pants – when I heard the door bell rang. I ignored it for a while thinking it was probably a package or some idle children. Seriously, who left home this early on a Saturday? When it persisted I huffed out a sigh and got up to answer it. To my surprise, behind the door stood Lauren, her dearest boyfriend Jason and his tall brown hair, green eyed friend Duncan, and the last person I'd wanted to see- Andrew.

Lauren came bursting through the door before I could even say no.

"Well I figured since we're all going to the carnival together tonight we would just meet up somewhere first."

I glared at her. She was impossible. "Lauren it's only ten o'clock. We have nine hours until the carnival opens."

"I know, but I figured we could go do something before the carnival. And besides we have hardly been spending anytime together lately."

"Lauren I really don't want to leave the house unless it is absolutely necessary."

"It will be fun. We could go shopping, or grab a movie. Or just hang out here."

She fell into the couch and plopped her feet upon the foot rest, perfectly at home.

"Not giving me much of a choice." I eyed Andrew as he came in behind Jason and immediately felt the fear cutting through me.

I really wanted to spend most of the day alone, sorting through my feels and seeking the guidance of my dead mother who apparently had a thing for invading my dreams. At this point I was willing to take knowledge from anybody who had even the slightest idea as to what I was dealing with. Now there was no chance of that happening.

I sat in between Lauren and Jason who had begun to cosy up in the couch.

"Hey, no making out on the couch." Lauren stuck out her tongue and Jason laughed it off.

I started flipping through the television stations ignoring the disapproving stare I was getting from Duncan who sat in the chair beside the couch, and the smirk from Andrew who sat in my aunt's rocking chair across from me. His eyes were intense as he stared without blinking. As the light shone down on his face, he resembled an angel. A smile teased his lips and my cheeks flushed as I dropped my eyes back to the TV, feeling a little embarrassed about the staring contest I had just lost.

"Snacks anyone?" I asked hoping I could skip the kitchen trip and just go straight to my room to relax and meditate for a while.

I sighed when they said yes and grimaced when Andrew offered to help.

"No I've got it." I said irritated, hoping he would not try to be a perfect gentleman and insist on helping.

"It's fine, I want to help." He insisted.

I ignored him and started off to the kitchen, with Andrew following behind.

"Cups are in that cupboard." I pointed above his head. He said nothing as he reached for the cups and began filling them with ice. The silence went on as I poured chips and popped corn into a large bowl.

The annoyance in me steadily built up till it just burst. I spun around to face him.

"Why are you doing this? What do you want?" He stared at me for a second, confused.

"What do you mean?" he asked, puzzled.

"Helping me, offering me rides to school. Why are you being nice to me, when I'm not even nice to you?"

He set the cups filled with soda on a tray and stood with his hands resting on the counter top.

"Well firstly, I gave you a ride to school so I could speak with you in private, though if you ever want a ride to school I would be happy to assist. Secondly," He said before I could get a sarcastic comment in. "If you took the time to know me before judging me, you would know that I really am always this helpful. It's how I was raised and a part of my culture."

"So, you aren't just doing this because you know that I'm..." a lump rose in my throat as I tried to figure out how to word my sentence carefully, without saying too much.

"Different?" he finished. I nodded slowly.

"Yes and no, but not particularly."

"Now we're talking in riddles? What does that mean?"

He smiled. "I'm not just being nice to you because I know."

It bothered me, though it should not, that he was not flooding me with questions.

"Why aren't you curious?" I finally managed to ask.

"I am curious, just not very curious about that" he answered, his voice calm and smooth.

"Then about what?"

"About you. I want to know you. Your personality, more than what you show everyone else. I can tell that you have never let your true self out, as if you are always hiding."

I turned around to face him now. "You know why I'm always hiding. You saw..."

"Because you are different doesn't mean you have to hide your true personality. Forget about the physical you. You never let anyone see who you really are inside. You should let go every once in a while. It's okay to vulnerable."

I was not sure how to reply to his assumption, so I didn't.

"Need any help back here?" Lauren's voice broke the silence that had developed between us.

"Its fine, we got it." Andrew said flashing a dazzling smile.

I reached for the popcorn as Andrew finished preparing the trey.

"Ladies first."