Earth - Chapter Ten

We walked for hours until we finally got to a motel. When we got settled into our rooms Taj pulled out a map and started drawing out points with a highlighter. I had never seen her so quiet and so focussed. I left her to it and took a shower, while I pondered upon our current predicament.

When I was finished I lay in bed, thinking of all the dreams I had of my mother with her trying to warn me. And all the times Taj had warned me even though I didn't fully know why, until this point. I drifted into sleep shortly after then jolted from another dream. When I awoke Taj was laying sleep in the bed next to mine. I replayed the conversation I had with Andrew earlier in the day over and over until my head spun. And I knew I would have no peace until I had an explanation.

I went to the bathroom and locked the door, and dialled the only person who could give me answers.

"I need to talk to you."

"I told you not to contact me." Andrew answered. 

"I deserve an explanation."

"What more do you need to know? You're safe, and that's more than I can say for me or my own family.

"I am in danger because of you and my family is barely alive, so excuse me if I do not currently pity your situation. I deserve to know the truth, Andrew."

He did not speak for a moment. "Meet me at Mel's Cafe in an hour."

"I will be there."

I left without telling Taj where I was going. It would just lead to an argument and I had no time. I sat outside the cafe with an untouched strawberry Danish and mocha cappuccino in my hand while I waited. Nervously shaking my leg and checking the time, it wasn't long before I heard the roar of his car engine.

He drove up around the corner, dangerously enticing as the first time I had seen him. And when he stepped out of the car and stared back at me with those honey coloured eyes I had to remind myself the real reason we were meeting. He jogged up the stairs and sat in the chair across from me.

"You know it's dangerous for us to be seen together." He said, not looking at me.

"Why?" I asked, without hesitation.

"You know why."

"That's not what I meant. Why did you do it? All those months, why did you use me that way? Making me believe you really liked me just to get information out of me. Why?"

He tossed a few peanuts in his mouth from the bowl set on the table.

"I was protecting my family. I had a job to do. So I did it. You may not fully understand it Zillina but I'm bet your aunt does. Besides," he shot his piercing eyes at me now, "You were doing the same thing."

My breath paused at his admission. How did he know?

"Come on Zillina. I am an Epsill, I am trained to know these things." He answered as if reading my mind.

"I had to." I said simply.

"I know. And I understand why you did it." He sat back, chewing more peanuts. "Look, there was a time when being an Epsill was all I wanted. My father would always come home with exciting stories of the field and it got me interested. The power, the respect, serving the country you love, protecting your people. I worked hard to climb levels in Warrior training and as soon as I was old enough to be recruited I found out all I could and did all I could to make sure recruiters noticed me. And when I became an Epsill I worked even harder to make rank. I had a great trainer and he fought harder than I did to make sure I was up for promotions as soon as I was ready. But even with all that, there comes a time when you have to step aside from your skills and training and think with your heart. There comes a time when morals have to overstep duties." He reached for my hand and held it on the table. "Zillina, you have to understand that I never meant for any of this to happen."