Earth: Chapter Six

The ride to the carnival was a short one. Duncan – who seemed to quickly becoming good friends with Jason - offered to drive and his Range Rover got us there in less than fifteen minutes. It had been a while since I had been out of the house with friends, other than at school and I had to admit I was a bit excited.

Duncan drove into the dusty, well lit parking lot. We got out of the car and headed to where the crowd congregated. Lauren came over to walk beside me.

"Hey Lina, I know it has been really hectic with your being sick and all, but please try to enjoy yourself. After all that is why we are here, right?"

"Right."

I wasn't much for parks, rides or carnivals, but getting out of the house seemed better than self pity. The smell of cotton candy, corndogs and soda filled the air. Children's laughter and parents' repeated calls for them to be careful could be heard throughout the park.

"So, I see you and Andrew are -" I stopped her in mid-sentence.

"Andrew and I are nothing."

She raised a brow and smiled. "I was going to say getting along, but if you say so. Lina?"

"Yes?"

"Just promise me you will have fun tonight, okay?"

"I'll try." and I really would.

Maybe this was the well needed break from everything that had been happening over the last few months.

Lauren turned to the group, "Okay guys listen up, we stick together like the smart people in a horror movie. If by some chance we get separated we'll meet at that cotton candy stand." She signalled the stall which was to the right of the entrance. I do not know how she did it, but for such a petite person, she always got people to listen when she spoke. There was an authority in her voice which could not be denied. We stood in the line to collect our armbands then headed over to the well lit roller coaster where the screams of fear and those in adrenalin ecstasy echoed throughout the park.

Andrew walked over to me, hands buried in his pockets. "Is it always like this when you guys go out?"

"What do you mean?"

"Lauren calling the shots."

I laughed, "Generally I would take offence to such a statement but you really are naive so I can't blame you for asking."

He stood waiting for clarification. "Have you ever tried taking candy from someone with a sweet tooth? That's how it is with Lauren. You could try to fight her but it will only end deadly. Besides, Lauren is a natural leader and she knows what she's talking about ...90% of the time."

He threw his head back in such deep laughter that I could not resist laughing as well. The rest of the group looked at us questionably and we sobered up immediately.

I rubbed my sweaty palms in my jeans as we stood in the line waiting to hop into the roller coaster.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Andrew asked just as I was about to step on.

"I don't like these things. Accidents happen, people fall out, I've seen Final Destination." Andrew laughed again. I smiled and continued, "Plus, I'm not much for rides that make me throw up."

"It's going to be okay. You won't throw up and you're not going to fall out." He held my chin and stared straight into my eyes "I won't let anything happen to you."

I nodded, because somehow this boy I barely knew and could barely stand just a few months ago was making me believe he was sincere.

He grabbed on to my hand and I became really aware of just how cold my hands were. He smiled down at me and pulled me into the cart.