Earth: Chapter Nine

Taj was already up and stirring in the kitchen when I woke up. No matter what day of the week it was, Taj was up before the sun was fully up. I went downstairs and saw she was making my favourite breakfast – ham, eggs and French toast.

"What did I do to deserve this bribe?" I asked her, taking a bite out of the toast.

"Nothing, except you have training again today."

"I can't today. I promised Lauren I would be her shopping buddy for some party she wants to go to later."

"Oh. We could do it when you get back."

I gave Taj a droll stare. "Shopping with Lauren is an all-day event."

Taj laughed, "Right. Well, there is always tomorrow."

"Sure."

She raised her brow, "You're more willing than usual."

"You made French toast." I smiled as I took another delicious bite.

                                                          ***

Five stores later and Lauren still had not found the dress she wanted, even though she had already purchased three. We went into another store and began searching the racks.

"What if I don't find anything I like?" Lauren asked, frantically searching through the aisles.

"I am sure you will find something. Or you could just wear one of the hundreds of dresses you already own."

She fell silent while I continued searching.

"Your boyfriend is here."

I looked up from the dress I was currently admiring. "My what?"

Lauren rolled her eyes, "Andrew. He is in the jewellery store. Wait, is there something you should tell me Zillina?"

It was my turn to roll my eyes and Lauren's melodramatics. "Sure, Andrew is about to propose."

"Let's go say hi."

"Let's not."

Before I could finish my sentence Lauren was dragging me across the mall to the jewellery store. Andrew had his back to us looking at some watches.

"Doing some early Christmas shopping?" Lauren said as we stepped into the store behind him.

"Hello, ladies." He said with his heart melting smile. "And no, I just needed a new watch."

"Nice timepiece," I said referring to the one he was presently trying on his wrist.

"You think?"

"Yeah, sophisticated and manly. It works."

"Thanks. I'll take it." He said to the sales representative.

"So, what are you ladies doing here?"

"Dress shopping," Lauren answered.

"I am just tagging along." I added.

"I am trying to convince her to go to this party with me later but she isn't budging. Oh, hey are you going?" Lauren asked Andrew.

"I will if Zillina goes." He said, his smile growing.

I rolled my eyes, "Well I guess you won't be going then."

"Come on Lina, please." Lauren begged for the one-hundredth time.

"Yeah, Lina please?" Andrew imitated.