19. Mother no More

Começar do início

I hesitate, considering his words. "I don't know..."

"You don't have to come," Dad says. "I just thought I should ask just is case."

"I guess I will..." I say softly. "Maybe... Get a bit of closure with Mom."

"Then I want to come too," Aaron says, his hand finding mine and squeezing gently.

"Me too!" Damon pipes up. "We're Skye's self-declared bodyguards, we wanna come along!"

Dad raises an eyebrow at him, then look at me, so I shrug helplessly. There's no arguing with Damon, not when he really wants something.

Dad glances to Lucas, who raises his hands in a 'you're on your own' kind of gesture.

Dad sighs. "Alright, just... Keep it private, understand? Don't... Go posting on Instagram or something."

"Oh I'm offended," Damon says. "How dare you think I would tell someone else about this."

Dad shrugs, "just being sure. I never know with you, Damon."

"Amen to that," Lucas mutters, making Damon shoot him a glare.

"Dad, aren't you supposed to love me unconditionally?" Damon says, crossing his arms with a pout.

"Oh I do, Skittle," Lucas replies as Damon whines. "You're a pain in the ass, but your my pain in the ass."

⚬⚬⚬

I stand in front of the house I've lived in my whole life.

Dad stands next to me, my hand in his. Aaron stands on my other side, Damon next to him. I'm wearing some of Damon's clothes that he's let me borrow. He wouldn't take no for an answer.

"I feel like we're face the big scary castle as the end of an fantasy movie," Damon whispers loudly.

Mom's car is in the driveway, indicating she's home. I fidget nervously, already regretting the choice to come along.

"You'll be alright, Skye," Dad says, squeezing my hand gently. "You can wait in the car if you want."

"I'm not backing out now," I whisper.

Dad looks at me, studying me before giving a nod, kissing my forehead softly. "I love you, Skye, and I'm so sorry for leaving you."

"I know."

Hesitantly, I follow Dad up the front steps of the house. He knocks, impatiently standing with his arms crossed. Aaron and Damon stand on either side of me like actual bodyguards.

I hear the door unlock before Mom opens it, her expression angry.

"The fuck do you want?" She says. I see her visibly tense when she recognizes Dad. "Jeremiah?"

Dad nods once, anger evident in his voice. "We're here for Skye's things, Rose, so get out of the way."

"Ooo, he's angry," Damon whispers.

Mom scowls but moves further inside, letting us in. I notice Dad's tense posture as he looks around, and I can tell Aaron and Damon both tense as well.

"Excuse me, is that dried blood?" Damon says, glaring at a spot on the floor near the entrance of the kitchen.

"It's wine," Mom lies. "I spilt some earlier and forgot to clean it up."

Damon looks to me, raising at eyebrow and silently asking for the truth.

I wince, "that'll be from me stepping on glass."