Chosen Ones

Third Persons POV

Katelyn trained mainly one on one with Peggy or the head dog handler with Bella. But sometimes she trained with Steve and the other recruits like today. She is running with them when the sergeant makes them stop in front of the camp flag. Both Steve and Katelyn breathing heavier then the others.

They're in front of the camps flag. Peggy and the colonel is following the recruits in a car. Bella is with them looking at her new handler.

"That flag means we're only at the halfway point. First man to bring it to me gets a ride back with Agent Carter. Move, move!" he orders. The others all run for the flag pole trying to climb it.

"Come on, get up there" the soldiers shout at each other.

"If that's all you got, this army's in trouble! Get up there, Hodge! Come on! Get up there! Nobody's got that flag in 17 years! Now fall back into line! Come on, fall in! Let's go! Get back into formation!" the sergeant orders. But Katelyn and Steve are still examining the flag pole.

"Rodgers, I said fall in line" the sergeant tells them. The siblings look at each other smiling. They approach the pole together. They pull the pin out and the pole falls. Both of the them approach the flag grabbing it together. Then hand it to the sergeant.

"Thank you sir" they say and get into the car. The car drives away as Katelyn pats Bella gently smiling. Once they all arrive back at camp Peggy has them do push ups and Bella lays beside Katelyn. Meanwhile the colonel is speaking to Doctor Erskine.

"You're not really thinking about picking the Rogers, are you?" the colonel asks him.

"I am more than just thinking about it. They are the clear choice" Doctor Erskine tells him.

"When you brought a ninety-pound asthmatic onto my army base with his sister, I let it slide. I thought, what the hell? Maybe they'll be useful to you, like a gerbil. I never thought you'd pick them" the colonel states. "You stick a needle in that kids arm and it's gonna go right through him" he adds looking at Steve. "Look at that. He's making me cry" he says sarcastically.

"I am looking for qualities beyond the physical" Doctor Erskine tells him. "Besides am I also considering giving it to Bella" he adds looking at the war canine. She was the best canine they have, imagine what the serum could do for her.

"You can't be serious. Do you know how long it took to set up this project?" Colonel Phillips asks him shocked.

"Yeah, I know" the doctor assures him.

"All the groveling I had to do in front of Senator What's-His-Name's committees?" he asks.

"Brandt. Yes, I know. I am well aware of your efforts" Doctor Erskine assures him.

"Then throw me a bone. Hodge passed every test we gave him. He's big, he's fast, he obeys orders. He's a soldier" Colonel Phillips says proudly.

"He's a bully" the doctor retorts.

"You don't win wars with niceness, doctor" Colonel Phillips states grabbing two dummy grenades. "You win war with guts" he states throwing the grenade. "Grenade!" he shouts. All teh soldiers back away quickly.

Except for Steve and Katelyn who cover them with their own bodies. Bella stand between them keeping the other back. "Get away! Get back!" Katelyn and Steve shout. But the grenades don't go off and everyone relaxes.

"It was a dummy grenade. All clear. Back in formation" the officer instructs.

"Was this a test?" Steve asks the colonel and Erskine as Katelyn checks on Bella.

"He's still skinny" the colonel mutters before leaving.

Katelyn's POV

I seat on my brother's bed with him after training, Bella laying at our feet. "How's your handler training going?" Steve asks me.

"Better then soldier training" I tell him. "But Peggy has shown me how to punch properly" I add smiling. Just then Doctor Erskine appears.

"May I?" he asks and Steve nods his head. "Can't sleep?" he asks us.

"Still jittery I guess" Steve says shrugging.

"Same" I say leaning my head on Steve's shoulder. I was so scared by the fake grenade. I though I was going to lose Steve and Bella.

"Me too" Erskine says chuckling.

"Can we ask you a question?" I ask him.

"Just one?" he asks looking at us.

"Why us?" Steve asks him.

"I suppose that is the only question that matters" he says thoughtfully looking at the drink in his hand. "This is from Augsburg. My city. So many people forget that the first country that the Nazi's invaded was their own. You know, after the last war the... my people struggled. They... they felt weak. They felt small. And then Hitler comes along with the marching and the big show and the flags. And he... he hears of me, my work and he finds me. And he says, 'You'" He says, 'You will make us strong.' Well, I am not interested.

"So he sends the head of HYDRA, his research division. A brilliant scientist by the name of Johann Schmidt. Now, Schmidt is a member of the inner circle and he's ambitious. He and Hitler share a passion for occult power and Teutonic myth. Hitler uses his fantasies to inspire his followers. But for Schmidt, it is not fantasy. For him, it is real. He has become convinced that there is a great power hidden in the earth, left here by the Gods, waiting to be seized by a superior man. So when he hears about my formula and what it can do, he cannot resist. Schmidt must become that superior man" he explains.

"Did it make him stronger?" I ask him curious as I pat Bella's head.

"Yeah. But, there were other effects. The serum was not ready. But more important, the man. The serum amplifies everything that is inside. So, good becomes great. Bad becomes worse. This is why you both were chosen. Because a strong man, who has known power all his life, will lose respect for that power. But a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows compassion" Doctor Erskine explains.

"Thanks, I think" Steve says.

"Why me? What about Bella?" I ask him.

"You are very compassionate my dear and Bella is our best canine, the serum would make her an ever better war canine. But you know she can also be a loyal companion" he states. He pours us a drink each.  Whatever happens tomorrow, you both must promise me one thing. That you both will stay who you are now. Not a perfect soldier, but a good man and woman" he tells us.

"To the little guys" Steve says.

"And girls with amazing dogs" I say smiling and Bella barks in agreement. Before we can drink, Doctor Erskine stops us.

"No! No! Wait! Wait! What I am doing? No! You have a procedure tomorrow. No fluids" he states.

"Ok we'll drink it after" Steve tells him and I smile.

"No! I don't have procedure tomorrow. Drink it after? Drink it now" the doctor states drinking all three drinks. He leaves us and I say goodnight to Steve. Before leaving with Bella and I have her lay on my bed with me.

"We'll be okay girl, I just know it" I tell her smiling. She licks my cheek and snuggles into me. I close my eyes and soon fall asleep.

A/N

Picture above of Steve now and on the external link of the flag.