2.1. Ephemeral fate

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Death is painful

More so to the one left behind

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Stirring slowly, I fought to lift my heavy eyelids and took a few minutes to adjust my vision. The pounding in my head made it difficult to focus on anything, to sort out my mind and thoughts.

My whole body weighed down and I felt weak, unable to lift my arms or legs.

"Ina?"

My heart jumped when the familiar, soothing voice called my name from beside me and I turned my head a little to see Jungkook gaping at me through his long red bangs and a relieved smile appeared on his pink lips as he stepped closer.

"Wha," I whispered hoarsely and took a deep breath before continuing, "What happened?"

He pursed his lips. "You suddenly fainted and Jimin hyung called a doctor. He examined you and told us that you experienced psychological shock that added to your traumatic stress and it heavily affected your brain. Plus, it's weakened your physical health. You have to rest, Ina."

I swallowed, trying to moisten my dry throat. "How long have I been out?"

"Two days."

My breath hitched, my eyes widening at his answer, and I brought my hand up to rub my face, seemingly regaining my strength after a while. How could I pass two whole days?!

"Where's Jimin?"

Sighing, he sat down beside me with his gaze on his interlocked hands. "I don't know... Work, maybe? He comes and goes to check up on you and how I'm getting used to here."

My memories were beginning to return to me and I gasped, grabbing his hand. "Wait! Ilhoon!"

He flinched, wide eyes landing on me before falling on our hands. Heavy silence was slowly submerging us. Dread to know what happened after I passed out chilled the blood in my veins and I struggled to enunciate my next words.

"Has... Jimin... found anything?"

He took a glance at my face. "He was found bleeding on a road near the Mikrokosmos department store two days ago... It was a hit and run incident."

Shock stung my whole body and my mouth hung open. "A hit a-and run...?" Tears blurred my eyes and my grip on his hand loosened.

"The funeral was held yesterday."

A tear fell from my eye. The funeral...

"...I'm sorry."

Sniffling, I slowly shook my head. "It's-" I gasped for air. "It's n-not your fault. Don't be sorry."

He tightened his hold on my hand. "I don't know anything about you all, but I hope you can find the strength to go through this."