Chapter 36 | Duel

GRETA

"Too slow!" Adler chuckles.

He lowers his sword. I have never seen him and Brommy do this before. It is only practice.

Clink, clink, clank.

I do not like the sound of metal hitting metal.

If only I could see in color. It would help me discern between the two of them better.

"I am not too slow. You just enjoy backing away rather than striking me head on. You are going...easy on me!"

"Dearest, Brometheous, I never go easy on you. I only go easy on Enoch."

For some reason, Brommy finds that funny and joins in on his father's laugh.

The two tall men lower their swords and sit down on the paved stone to rest. Slaves offer them vases full of drinking water while I watch from a distance.

Adler and his son sit together side by side with their backs faced away from me.

I suppose they forgot about their audience - me. I was supposed to be given sword lessons by Brommy today, but Adler made an appearance. So, the two decided to show off their skills rather than teach me them.

Even their sword fighting is almost exactly the same.

The way they step and the pattern they swing. It's incredible how similar their technique and strength is.

"Are you twins?"

Adler perks up at my question. He sets down his emptied goblet of water. I watch as it spills over in his hurry to stand up.

"Watch what you are doing," Brommy scolds. With a sigh, he wrings out the hem of his tunic that Adler's water spilled all over. "I'm sorry, Greta. I did not hear what you said."

"She asked if we are twins."

Brommy throws his head back with laughter.

"Me? Twins with him? Thank the gods no. What in Ashtium's name gave you that idea?"

"Everything about you both. Not only are you nearly identical, but your personalities and your mannerisms..."

I don't understand why Brommy appears annoyed by my observation. Well, I can sort of understand. I should not have said anything.

"I am going for a ride," he announces.

Without another word, he strides over to his voltak, and no sooner, I am left alone with his father.

Brommy was supposed to walk me back down to the hospice. Looks like I will be taking a solo trip now.

A chuckle comes from behind me. I tense up feeling Adler's heavy hand land on my shoulder.

"Oh, my dear child, it appears you struck a nerve with my war advisor."

"Is it true?" I ask. "Adler?"

Finally, he removes his hand from my shoulder. I turn to face him. I'm not expecting his sly smile. That mischievous glint in his eyes makes me very uncomfortable.

Just who is the real child here? It's certainly not me.

It irritates me to no end how he always finds my questions amusing and just stands there waiting to see how much further I'll try to pry.

"What is so funny?"

"There is nothing funny at all, Greta. It's just so hard to believe I have you all to myself. It's an exciting feeling. What a sharp little brain the gods have given you."