Chapter 9 | The Temple

GRETA

Everything is dimmer now. It's frustrating because I was quite enjoying being able to see objects much clearer. 

I suppose even in this strange place night exists. There are no stars to comfort me here though. I know Adler is still sleeping, but what's the sense in waiting in there when there's so much for me to explore now. Never before have I ever been given the freedom to walk where I please.

I abandon my hiding spot. I love sliding my feet over the surface of this clean floor. It's even smoother than the stone floor over in the area with all the plants outside.

There are so many taller carved sculptures here. Large cylinder beams of stone stand in a row behind me as I step further under the shade of the decorated rock roofing. I don't know why they need so many statues, but each one is unique and equally as magnificent as the other. I can feel the patterns on them with my hands and envision their shape in my mind. 

My parents used to tell me about them; the statues of the gods who crafted the city of the sun.

"There you are," a gruff voice comes from behind me. I'm picked up. Hard eyes watch me with careful calculation. "How was your night?"

"It went well."

His blank stare tells me he still does not understand my words.

A voice comes from just outside the temple, "Oh my!"

I tense up as I'm handed over to my god's wife. For once, I wish Brommy would hold me. Not her. Her fingers are thin and warm pressing into my skin too tightly as she lifts me in front of herself.

My feet dangle beneath me as she walks away with me.

I knew I shouldn't have wandered out here alone. My god is still sleeping in the temple.

Eventually, we arrive in a stinky building made of wood stacks. It is somewhere in the maze of the market.

"You're a smart little woman, aren't you?" I am too afraid to cry. A hunched over woman opens a hidden hatch in the ground. There are steps leading down into a small room. The empress hands the old woman a sack of what must be coins. "Make sure she is cared for well. Have her quartered in the baker's keep. Thank you."

The old woman smells of spices. I jump hearing the doors shut above us closing out the sight of the empress. A great heat makes my face burn.

"Now, now," the woman hushes, "This is where food is made. It is also warmest here for the nights are cold. You will sleep here with my family. Nameless children of the royal family, unfortunately, are frequent under the current rule. Do not worry, you are in better hands here."

***

ENOCH

I turn my head hearing the thunderous clap of heavy footsteps headed toward my bedchamber.

My father strides in, his face dark purple as he makes his way toward me. His personal guards begin making a mess of my room as if I'm hiding one of his treasured keepsakes.

"Where is she?" 

He slams his hand down on my desk making me set down my outlines of our new bank.

"Who?"

"My sweet!"

"You mean the baby?" I ask with growing worry. "She should be in the hospice at this hour in the morning."

He folds his arms. "Well," he begins. "She stayed the night with me. I wanted to monitor her sleep. I most certainly did not intend to fall asleep myself!" he poorly excuses.

"You know I do not have the strength to enter your chamber. You arrived at dinner yester-evening without her. I did not think you would watch over her two nights let alone one."

It is a rarity for him to get this worried.

Strange how he has gotten so attached to her in such a short amount of time.

Nonetheless, she could be anywhere right now if he's already looked in the most obvious place.

"She is not here," I huff while watching his guards. "Did you search the hospice?"

"Yes. I could use your help," he mumbles while turning from me. I follow his back down the chamber hall through the palace and out onto the marble streets of our city. The baby could be anywhere. "Search the south side. I will bring my unit with me to the north."

☁️