Chapter 34 | Gifts

GRETA

My arms and legs are sore from the exercises Brommy made me do in the enocrote. Before I walked back here to the hospice, I stopped in the market and bought some real food as Enoch calls it. My stomach has finally adapted to it and this bread tastes divine.

My new satchel will fit my other belongings such as my spare coins and food. I don't have to come back here during the day to eat anymore now that I can carry my things in this bigger pouch.

I bought new powder too, but I'm not sure if it will stay on well.

My heart aches knowing my eyes are just getting worse. This optical lens is not helping me much at all. It was sort of strange to see so many groups of women wandering around together when I browsed the street vendors by myself.

Maybe Enoch will come with me next time.

I got him a special tart in a metal tin. It's in the kitchen right now and my sisters know not to eat it. I found something else though. I'm not really sure if I want to give it away though. It's in the shape of one of the flying creatures, but flat with its wings spread like it is ready to land or take flight.

The eldest sister told me it's called a rune. She wanted me to get rid of it and acted as though it was an object of evil since it is carved from the bones of something.

The vendor wouldn't tell me what kind of bones, but the necklace was on sale so I couldn't turn down the offer. I may not be able to see its shape perfectly, but I can feel that it is unique.

Once I gather my belongings and put them back in my satchel, I head out of my room. In the kitchen chamber, I reach the shelf holding the tart and then set off into the night.

The market is quiet now as I slip through it unseen.

My feet feel like they're ready to fall off by the time I make it up the steps to Adler's temple. I don't find him inside and consider heading to the palace. However, my eyes are bleeding again and I know I won't be able to find my way.

It is easy to get here from the hospice, but the palace is much further.

"Hello?" I say while rounding the diffused fire pit. "Adler?"

I don't think he's here. I clutch my satchel to my chest while walking back behind his chair. A dark shape moves away from the wall.

"Hello?"

They don't respond. The silver blur of their figure moves to the other side of the wall. Stone scrapes sharply as they open the door.

I walk quickly after them.

"Adler?"

"It is me, hurry now before someone sees."

I'm glad I changed out of most of my armor. It's easier to run now when I lift my tunic a little to avoid tripping over myself. When I make it inside the sliding door, Adler shuts it and then scoops me up with just one arm.

"How are you fairing in the ranks of our empirical guards?" he asks while walking further down the chamber. His voice echos around the bathing pool room as we enter it, "I hope it is to your liking, Keon."

"I love it."

"You also love my clout bed too, don't you?" he asks coyly. I hide my smile in the folds of his robes. Adler sets me down when we enter his bedchamber. "Our eyes are hypersensitive to the changes in our star's radiation. The light grows brighter and some days I fail to control its magnification down in our city."

The glowing cloud makes my eyes burn even more. Adler wipes the blood dripping down from them.

"Can you find my eyes, little pearl? Just watch me and they won't hurt anymore."