Chapter 62

"Oh gosh," Michael whispered. He looked around at the faces, expecting judgement and anger. Everyone else was confused and didn't understand. "Jack, you said your dad used to boast about how it was the Solar's fault that we were cursed. I thought you meant us, but I think you were telling the truth."

"How?" Jack questioned.

"My parents," Michael said. "They disowned me when I met Mandy, and I never saw them again. They were, and probably still are, very respected hunters in the town I lived in before Mandy. I hate to say it, but them cursing us makes sense. They turned Mandy into a hunter, and Mandy, therefore, tried to force Rowan to be one. They made me into a Thalassic Mortal, the creature I was raised to hate. Braiken, you said you had trouble with Hunters around that time. Wez, you were still in the ocean, so they mustn't have known about you." Michael turned to Jenya. "Am I right?"

Jenya nodded with sympathetic eyes. "I saw two older people, and the name Solar always popped up. Marcus and Lucinda Solar. Are they your parents?"

Michael nodded and started pacing the room. "They did this to me?" The anger began to simmer. "Disowning me wasn't enough for them?"

Rowan's eyes followed him up and down, up and down. "Dad I'm so sorry they did this to you. We need to find them."

"What is sig-na-tur?" Kaerius asked.

"If someone painted a picture, they'd sign the bottom of the picture with their name. My grandparents used their last name 'Solar' to sign the curse as theirs, which is why Jack blamed the Solars. They were too proud not to do it," Rowan said, watching Jenya nod.

"I say we ambush them. They won't be suspecting it," Braiken rasped, eager for revenge. "Sorry, Michael, I don't care that they're your parents. They made Mandy and I lose twelve years with our sons. They deserve to feel our wrath."

Michael stopped and nodded. "I agree. We should check their home first, and go prepared, which means leaving Jaiker, Laiken, Kaerius, and Jack at home. I'm sorry guys, none of you can fight and are more likely to get hurt."

"No," Kaerius, Jaiker and Laiken protested in unison.

"I stay," Kaerius said and latched himself to Rowan. "I'm free sea creature. You give Kaerius no rules."

Michael looked from Kaerius to Rowan. His son shrugged and said, "Don't even try to argue, you'll be at each other's throats for hours." Kaerius scowled, but Rowan thought, "Now is not the time to deny your stubbornness."

"All of you can come, but you're coming at your own risk. If you die, I won't feel bad," Braiken said, and Jack rolled his eyes.

"Rowan, you don't leave Kaerius's side." Michael wasn't suggesting that they stick together, he demanded it, pointing a stern finger at his son. If Kaerius died, Rowan would too.

"Are we going today? Shouldn't we at least think of a plan?" Mandy asked. "We can't just turn up. What if they're expecting us? Shouldn't we prepare for what to do if they know?"

"Sister has a point," Braiken said, tapping his chin. "We need to pray to our mother, the goddess. She might not answer, but I know she always listens. Maybe she'll help us and let karma take its course before we get there."

"What if they're waiting with another curse?" Jack asked, and Jenya stepped forward.

"Let me and my pack go first. We won't be seen, and we can tell you if the Solar's have a fairy to make curses. If they do, that fairy is likely there against its will."

"There's only one problem with that though," Michael said, staring hard at the ground. "My parents live in a boat."

"Well, then it's even easier for our mother dearest to destroy them! Hunters living on water, how foolish," Braiken said, rubbing his hands with a motivated grin. "Let's go and pray. I feel the sea calling." Braiken turned abruptly and stormed out of the room, only to return when nobody followed him.