Chapter 16

That evening, as the sun went down, Rowan and Kaerius were still with each other on the rocks. They had to be together until it was time for Rowan to go home. Otherwise, their night would feel horrific. Neither Kaerius nor Rowan knew what would happen to each other while they slept. They didn't know how long they could last apart.

Kaerius was thankful that water and land separated them. Developing feelings was too natural and staying away ensured that he wouldn't be tricked by his own emotions. He had offered Rowan his tail when the human was upset. Kaerius couldn't believe how much he let his guard down without realising it. As much as he wanted to convince himself that the bond was manageable, he knew he was only lying to himself. It wouldn't take long for either of them to get used to each other's company. Kaerius only hoped that Laiken and Jaiker could find a way to stop his soul from craving Rowan's before it got too late.

"I should go home," Rowan said quietly. The water was calm, the beach was empty, and the sun only just poked from the top of the horizon, ready to leave that side of the world for another night. Rowan's arms wrapped around himself. He was only in shorts and a t-shirt because the days were still hot, but the nights were chilly.

Kaerius stopped flicking the water when Rowan spoke. He was starting to feel tired too. "I sleep," Kaerius said while rubbing his eyes. He wanted to curl himself around the kelp and dream of playing in big waves.

"I guess I'll see you in the morning, and we can figure this mess out," Rowan mumbled, climbing to his feet. His legs felt stiff. As he turned, Kaerius said his name and his spine shivered. He eyed the Thalassic Mortal who had already started moving away from the rock.

"No cry," Kaerius said before dipping under the surface, leaving nothing but a rippling effect behind.

At the reminder of why Rowan felt so upset, he breathed in and out as calmly as he could and hurried up the beach. He had spoken to his mother by text, so she hadn't come looking for him. Rowan didn't know if his father had told her what happened. He hadn't spoken to her since he denied her offer of having dinner.

"Rowan?" Mandy said when he walked through the front door.

"No, it's an intruder," Rowan replied and left his flip flops by the front door. His stomach tightened and growled with hunger. He didn't have the energy to eat and wanted to curl up on his bed and watch things on his phone to distract himself.

Rowan barely made it halfway through the hallway before his mother left the kitchen and stood in his way. "You look... terrible," he said with honesty. His mother looked pale from sickness and exhausted from lack of sleep.

"You still look ill. Are you sure that sitting on the beach all day was a good idea?"

"I'm fine," Rowan sighed and tried to edge around her, but Mandy remained in his way.

"There's something off about you," she said, looking him up and down. "You seem tense." Mandy then sighed deeply and crossed her arms. "I have a whole night to kill. Should we talk about what happened to you last week? I'll let you tell me how you really feel. You might feel better by shouting. I know I do when I see Michael."

Rowan softly shook his head. It throbbed like he banged it against something hard. "No. I'm just tired and need sleep."

"I know we don't have that mother and son relationship, but I know when something's bothering you, so tell me because you look like you've found the hole to hell and almost fell in," Mandy said and tried to take her son's arm, but Rowan backed away. "There's food in the microwave. Do you-"

"Mum, just leave me alone!" Rowan said more forcefully than he wanted. Though it worked, and he successfully passed her in the corridor and hurried up to his room.