XXIII. Clean Slate

Comincia dall'inizio

She inhales a deep breath. "Now, let's go. I think they are probably downstairs waiting for us. Yesterday, Anthony told me that he would explain everything this morning." I nodded my head and went on my feet. "We are bad bitches, they are just a bunch of guys," Lily told herself.

"That happens to have guns," I mumble.

"Who can dispose of us anytime," Lily added.

Suddenly, our confidence vanquishes, and we start making a crying sound while hugging each other. "It was good knowing you," I cried out.

Lily nodded on my shoulder. "It was good knowing me too," she said, and I rolled my eyes.

After walking around the room, mumbling something about not wanting to die for a good hour, Lily and I decided it was time to go. We held each other's arms and started walking downstairs, passing by some of the workers. Every time we pass them, we think they will knock us out or shoot us, but they merely bow like everything is normal. Once we reach the first floor, we can hear laughter from the dining room, so I open it. Peeking inside, I witness the boys eating breakfast with the guys.

Barry clapped his hands, "Do it again, Fran!" 

Francesco grinned, "I will, but only if you eat another spoonful of eggs," he said. Barry nods, scoops the eggs, and puts them in his mouth. Francesco did something with his hands, waving it around, and pulled out a penny from David's ear, causing him to clap some more.

My eyes scan around the room to see Kevin and Bruce talking to Antonio. They discussed something about girls like guys who are fit and something about taking them out to put some muscles on their skinny bodies.

I rolled my eyes and turned to see Pietro talking to Anthony, with Clark on his lap. Clark stabs a pancake and tries to put it in his mouth, but it slips from his fork. Then, he stabs it again, and the same thing happens. Anthony grabs a butter knife and slices the pancakes.

"Thank you, bug bwother," Clark said, receiving a head pat in return.

They are really making it hard for us to hate them if they act like that. Why can't they behave like gang members? Smoke and cussed like there is no tomorrow! Somehow, they are behaving like classy wealthy men who happen to be a family man.

Lily nudges my shoulder, and I take a step inside with her behind me. Pietro instantly looks up, not at me, but at the girl behind me. "Francesco, why don't you take the boys out to the backyard to finish their breakfast? To get some fresh air and such," Anthony said.

"Why can't we stay here?" Kevin asks.

Antonio leans an elbow against the table, grabs his cup of water, and takes a sip. "Because we have some adult business to discuss, Kev."

After some time, the boys were escorted to the backyard with Francesco. Hesitantly, Lily and I take a seat on the chairs farthest away from them. One of the lovely ladies walked in, bringing us breakfast, and we merely stared at it. "We didn't poison it if that's what you're thinking," Antonio said.

Lily and I glance at each other, and our uncooperative stomach starts growling. "What the fuck if they wanted to kill us, they would by now already," Lily said, then starts eating the pancakes. I pick up the knife and fork, allowing the top-notch breakfast to enter my body. "So," Lily said, filling up the silence. "You guys are the Italian mafia."

They nod.

She chuckles, "Fun." I don't know how she is capable of laughing.

Anthony clears his throat, cupping his hands on top of the table. "I understand that the two of you are terrified of us, but we promise we won't hurt you."

"Why do you want us?" I blurt out.

He licks his lips, electric blues staring into mine. "I already told you, I fell in love with you."

"Bullshit." I quickly covered my mouth.

Anthony leans back, taking a sip of his water, glancing at Pietro and Antonio. "Pietro, why don't you take Lily out for a walk."

"