who

chapter 16 | two-faced

Peri threw Troye her jumper, while he cradled his shoulders to my chest, because of the bitterly cold night.

"It was cold!" He shoved an empty water bottle at her in the car. "You lied, Monroe."

She laughed at hum, igniting the car. Her brown hair was soaking wet (like Troye's.) And he saw the outline of her bra through her damp T-shirt.

"Where to, Callagher?" She asked.

"24 Eubanks Road." Troye recited.

She nodded, reversing the car from the little (mostly empty) car park. The radio was on as usual, playing some heavy metal that Troye couldn't quite place. Peri and him sang along, loud and out-of-tune, happy and mocking eachother.

"Fun, huh, Troye?" She winked.

"Yes, Periwinkle." He annoyed her by calling her her full name.

She merely slapped his shoulder. Then, they continued singing along.

• • •

Eerie and empty.

Treading with trepidation, Troye clambered up the steps slowly to avoid his father. He was tired of hiding, but still not ready to face him.

There was a light noise coming from one of the bedrooms. And, quietly placing his backpack aside, Troye entered the bedroom.

His mother was sprawled across the bed, crying her heart out. Broken blue eyes stared back into his own. Her hair was strewn across her face, glued with sweat and tears.

Immediately, he knew what had happened.

He had left. Again. If breaking a heart once wasn't enough, his father had gone and done it twice.

No mercy. Ironic. Kind of like Troye himself.

"Where's he gone?"

"Gone..." The weeping figure faltered. "Airport."

Anger pulsed through his veins. His heart ran with boiling blood. Without thinking, Troye picked up his backpack, grabbed the car keys from the table and stormed out of the house.

Nobody deserved this. Nobody.

Anger blinded him like an unforgiving Summer sun. The venom and dire desire of needing revenge spurred him on. The car was ignited. Fire could only be fought with fire.

Troye's father messed with him one time too many.

Now, it was his turn.