Chapter 18 - Rendezvous

There were two days left until Halloween.

Jackie and Chase (mostly Chase) had prepared some old-timey effects for Jameson's video, procured a fine Halloween pumpkin, and gathered up all the necessary supplies.

Jameson was jittery and full of excitement; he had made it a habit to practice his demonstrative acting while doing ordinary things. He liked to pretend he was performing for an audience while making his breakfast or cleaning his apartment... it made everything more entertaining. And his confidence slowly grew. The video was sure to be perfect.

Jackie and Chase didn't know how Jameson could be so confident, but unbeknownst to them, Jameson had one particular ace up his sleeve.

Jameson picked idly at the edge of his collar. His unseeing eyes were locked on a crack in the asphalt in front of him, and his mind drifted like the nighttime clouds overhead. He was waiting in an alley downtown- a neutral location, where the shadows swallowed him whole.

"...what's the occasion, Jameson?" 

Jameson snapped back to attention as the rasping voice hissed through the alley.

I just... I needed to talk to you one more time before we shoot the video on Halloween, Jameson signed. It's got me really worried.

Jameson felt his nerves dissolve as a man stepped forward out of the darkness, as if pressing through a curtain.

Anti, Jameson said, his hands shaking, It could be that everything's jake, and I'm just being paranoid... but... but I'm really scared.  Anti smiled sympathetically.

"Everything's going to go according to plan," Anti said. His eyes almost glowed through the darkness, and the air seemed to hum around him.

I- I know, I just... Jameson stammered. Could he tell Anti about Marvin? About the card?

"Hey," Anti interjected with a smooth smile. "We've got this," he said. His stare seemed to burn into Jameson's soul. "You're a performer. You're an expert. Just do your best, and I'll be right there helping you."

Jameson thumbed anxiously at his pocketwatch, rolling the chain between his fingers. He took a deep breath, and let it drop. You're right. I don't mean to be a wet blanket.

"Well, then," Anti said, blinking slowly, "Let's move on to the next phase."