28 - THE SACRIFICE

BORN TO DIE
THE SACRIFICE

MADELEINE WAS BEGINNING TO THINK THAT SHE SHOULD JUST MOVE INTO THE GILBERT HOUSE

MADELEINE WAS BEGINNING TO THINK THAT SHE SHOULD JUST MOVE INTO THE GILBERT HOUSE. The amount of times that she had been called to that house so that they could discuss their next plan of attack was becoming unbearable. It was barely eight in the morning and she already had a text from Elena asking to come to her house. Madeleine was lucky if she made it to school on time ever this year. Of course, she went anyway. She rolled out of bed as the complete non-morning person she is. She managed to get ready in under fifteen minutes. She might not have looked her best but she was dressed and her hair was brushed, that was the best she could do.

When Madeleine got to the house Damon and Stefan were already there as expected. Damon, as usual, made a snarky comment as soon as Madeleine walked into the Gilbert kitchen. "Can't you ever just not pick up the phone?"

Madeleine rolled her eyes. "Trust me, Damon. One day I'm not going to pick up and you're going to miss me."

"Since when did you get personality change? I miss when you cowered in fear."

"Can you just start telling me why we're here?"

"We went to see Katherine." Stefan told her and Elena. "She said she'd give us the moonstone if we let her out"

"And you believe her?" Madeleine asked.

"No, of course not. We just want the moonstone."

"There's a way to destroy the spell that Klaus wants to break."

"No spell, no doppelgänger sacrifice. ergo, you live." Damon said to Elena as he tossed an apple back and forth in his hands.

"How do you destroy it?"

"By releasing it from the moonstone."

It all sounded too simple. Too straightforward. Madeleine asked. "How do you know this is going to work?"

Damon pointed at the blonde. "That's where you come in."

With every passing word, Elena looked less and less at ease. She didn't trust Katherine one bit and after what she told her about Klaus, Elena wasn't sure she wanted to stop him anymore. Not if it risked everyone else's life. "Katherine has the moonstone. She's not going to give it to you."

"We're going to get it from her."

"Well, what he means to say is that we will pry it from her cold, dead hands if we have to." Damon corrected his brother.

Stefan turned to Madeleine. "So, we need you to be able to release the seal long enough for us to get in, get the moonstone, and get out."

"This is incredibly risky." Madeleine was on board but she wanted to remind them of the threat this posed.

"Great, it sounds like you have this all planned out."

"Yep. We're awesome."

"Except for one thing." Elena said. "I don't want you to do it."