27 - KATERINA

BORN TO DIE
KATERINA

MADELEINE'S DAY BEGAN WITH MATH, HISTORY, AND MAGIC LESSONS

MADELEINE'S DAY BEGAN WITH MATH, HISTORY, AND MAGIC LESSONS. The schedule of a regular high school student. Stefan's hope in Madeleine was inspiring but it wasn't going to go anywhere unless she practiced. She had her ancestor, Willa's old grimoire and no way of deciphering each and every spell. So as part of her Hogwarts witch training, Madeleine decided to call in a favour with the best witch in town. Bonnie while still on the outs due to her hatred for vampires, specifically Damon, was more than happy to help Madeleine. Bonnie had really grown into her power since discovering she was a witch unlike Madeleine who tried to reject it. Bonnie was in love with her magic and the connection she felt to the Earth. She was thrilled to share that gift with someone so when Madeleine called, she said yes almost immediately. 

Bonnie arrived at the Sullivan house in the early morning of seven. She tried to get Madeleine to push their lessons until after school but Madeleine was eager. Bonnie turned up with a whole box of candles, salts and herbs for Madeleine to practice with. They both sat on the floor of Madeleine's living room around the coffee table. In the centre was her grimoire as well as a bunch of white candles. Teacher Bonnie began her lesson. "You already know some strong spells. The tomb spell, pain reduction, aneurysms but you haven't learnt the basics. One of the first spells I ever did was a simple fire spell. I want you to focus on this candle and repeat after me."

Bonnie placed one of the white candles in front of Madeleine. The blonde trained her eyes on the wick of the candle, trying to envision it lighting. "Phasmatos Incendia."

"Phasmatos Incendia." Madeleine repeated but nothing happened.

"Again."

"Phasmatos Incendia." Again nothing. Madeleine released a frustrated puff. 

"You're not doing it right." 

"What am I doing, Bonnie?" Madeleine asked, a little angrier than she intended. 

Luckily, Bonnie wasn't easily offended. She knew the frustration Madeleine was feeling because she felt it herself. Two witches in the same town, in the same friend group and they still managed to go through so much alone. She knew Madeleine was scared because she had once been. Until she decided to change it. "You're still rejecting your magic. I know what my grams said. I know everyone has told you that you are dangerous but I don't believe that. I believe that you are good. You saved Damon and Stefan from burning. You protected Elena when you both were taken. You protected yourself when Nate hurt you. You don't have to be afraid."

Madeleine's heart swelled. Maybe she had more people in her life that believed in her than she released. She never thought she was worth believing in. Long before this world, Madeleine never thought she would make much of a difference in this world. Charlotte was always the outgoing one, the one that everybody loved, the one that was made to change the world. Madeleine accepted that she would just be the best friend. When Charlotte left, Madeleine was so angry. So angry because she felt abandoned. Because she thought she was being left behind by the one person that seemed to care about her. Then when Caroline showed up, it made her angrier. As if Charlotte thought she was a friend you could just pass off to another when she was no longer of use. And then Madeleine's whole life became a lie and the one person who she thought had chosen her, was only her friend to keep an eye on her. But she was wrong, these people who didn't have to chose her, didn't have to be her friend if they didn't want to be, were still choosing to fight and believe in her.